How do you approach Graduate Fairs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you approach Graduate Fairs?

I'm going to a Graduate Fair tomorrow, taking a fair few copies of my CV but am unsure about what I will do there etc etc. I know little about any of the companies there, is it enough just to dish out my CV to all and sundry, or what..?
    www.my-piano.blogspot

It's a Finance, Accountancy & Management fair by the way, so it is relevant to my degree..
    www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Bang some heads
      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Don't go on the Big Dipper straight after your dinner

Comment

I always approach the graduate fair downwind so I can kill as many as possible before they realise and flee.
          The stench is almost overpowering though.

Comment

First... find out who will be there.
            Second... determine if you would like to work for any of them
            Three... do some "basic" research on the companies you are interested in
            Four... track those specific companies down and introduce yourself saying how much you would "love to work with them" and bring up a few facts you have learned about the company.
            Keep on Civin'
            RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Yup, doing homework is the key. It will be what sets you apart from other candidates.
              (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
              (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

First... find out who will be there.
                Second... determine if you would like to work for any of them
                Three... do some "basic" research on the companies you are interested in
                Four... track those specific companies down and introduce yourself saying how much you would "love to work with them" and bring up a few facts you have learned about the company.
                Good advice

I would also have CV's tailored to those companies that you are interested in on top of your generic versions. By tailored I mean accenting qualities and interests that you think they might be looking for the position you desire.

I have never gotten a job from one of these things, but I have gotten some interviews, and those were useful in polishing up them interview skills.

Another word of advice, don't be shy. Be asertive.

Oh, and where clothers... I tie perhaps.
                Monkey!!!

Comment

Make sure you give them a link to your Apolyton profile so they can see your wonderful posts.
                  "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                  Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

...as long as you say you wont be on poly during work hours......you will get any job you want...but everybody is right..dont be shy...show them what kind of person you are...because if you are going to try to be someone they want you will never like working there
                    Bunnies!
                    Welcome to the DBTSverse!
                    God, Allah, boedha, siva, the stars, tealeaves and the palm of you hand. If you are so desperately looking for something to believe in GO FIND A MIRROR
                    'Space05us is just a stupid nice guy' - Space05us

Comment

With 24 hours left I wouldn't go through the bother of remaking your resumes, though they should be freshly printed and not pulled off a shelf somewhere. You can present a tailor-made resume prior to your first interview, if desired.

Do you have a business card? You can easily make one in MSWord using the Labels wizard and some business card stock bought at Office Depot. Make about 100-200, pass them out indiscriminately. You'll never know who will call.

Do your research on the companies there, and do not be afraid to meet people and ask them questions. Since time is short, you might want to cram: when you first get there do a quick walk through and grab literature from companies that look interesting. Take some time to read the literature, coming up with a quick list of 4-5 that are interesting. Read those more carefully and then approach their stations. "ABC Inc... you provide Accounting and data processing services for the NHS, right? I can imagine that taking care of that one account is a huge responsibility, isn't it?"

Good questions: what are some of the regular challenges of working at ABC, what is the next step in lining myself up for consideration (asked right before you're about to leave and the person already has your resume), what is the working environment like - fast paced, challenging, etc. Words or phrases that help identify you as a team player, ready to join an organization for the long haul in order to begin a career and not just another job. That's the impression you want to convey without directly saying as much.

Bad questions: What does ABC do (you should know that before approaching), how much will I get paid/benefits packages, anything hinting at a desire to get away from the office (unless it involves travel for the company), anything hinting that this is just another temporary stop on your aimless passage through life. (Not saying you're aimless in particular, it's just surprising how many interviewees come off sounding that way.)

Comment

Some people may tell you that nearly all of the large employers on the milk round only recruit after the result of competency-based activities in assessment centres, and that sucking up to the representatives on the fair stands is a bit of a waste of time. Ignore them, because they are fools and communists.
                        The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

So, how'd it go? Get a job? More importantly, if so, then whose advice did you use to secure it?

Comment

Working...
                          X