No announcement yet.

Bye bye Concorde !!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do you think the chances are now of a new supersonic passenger airline being put together, and how long before it happens ??
    Well, probably a long time. For our side, Boeing tried to put together a development package for it, but abandoned it because of a lack of market.
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Yeah, but Boeing was trying to make the market support two super sonic planes. Now there would just be ne super sonic plane and it would be able to fly not just the Atlantic but also the Pacific.
      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Good points.
        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Concorde flew over Reading every time it flew out to the west ! I live in Reading, and had seen it almost every night.

It certainly is loud, no doubt about that, and 100 passengers just isn't very big, especially when you consider it burns 1 tonne of fuel per passenger (if it carries a full load) from LHR to JFK.

The future version has to be quiter, it has to be able to carry more people, and at a cost which is not that much more than conventional first class travel (£2-3k per seat).

It will be interesting to see what happens over the next few years .. but Im convinced, as long as there are over 200 airlines in existance, all making a loss, your not going to get anything but aircraft which are more efficient. Hopefully when airlines start merging and going bust, and more importantly, become profitable, they will then be able to afford to run these kind of aircraft.
          "Wherever wood floats, you will find the British" . Napoleon

Comment

I'm still working at Heathrow - concorde was absolutely the most impressive sight ever.
            (+1)

Comment

I saw it fly over twice today. Around 3ish it flew over once, and then a few minutes later another came over in exactly the same line. My client seemed quite excited and waffled on for a bit. He kept looking out at the horizon, so it might have circled round or something.
              Safer worlds through superior firepower

Comment

At 2.30 one took off to go around the bay of biscay, and one had taken off earlier that day for a trip to Edinburgh and back to the bay of biscay.

At 4pm those 2 met up, along with the 3rd which had just returned from JFK to return back to LHR together.
                "Wherever wood floats, you will find the British" . Napoleon

Comment

Working...
                X