Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rather large CME heading our way, this could be it...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rather large CME heading our way, this could be it...

A level 3 CME is heading straight for the earth, will arrive tomorrow. This could wipe out commsats, electical grids, etc. So I figure Poly's server will just commit suicide sometime tonight out of sheer fright.

Anyhoo, fill your bathtubs, withdraw all your money from the bank and don't forget to horde food.
    Long time member @ Apolyton
    Civilization player since the dawn of time

Huh, one would think that hundreds of billions of tons of the suns corona bearing down on the little bitty earth at hundreds of thousands of mph would at least spark a bit of interest...

Oh well, maybe I should have made that thread about commie lesbians on the lamb instead. Damn thread limits! Damn them!

Anyway, I'll try to find a link.

(To the CME thing)

Comment

How is your brother's ass?
      We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

HAHAHAHAHA

Comment

Hi Derek.

Comment

word up
            We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

How's tricks?

Comment

All the CME links are for old CMEs.

Comment

Ho Zylka

Tricks is ok, she sends her love. OH! I mean, I don't know any 'Tricks'!

Comment

does she ever read over your shoulder?

WHOOPS

Comment

SEEDOO!

Comment

Here you go:

Potential disruption to communication satellites today
                        Forecasters at the NOAA Space Environment Center have warned that there could be disruption to satelitte systems today due to the arrival of a coronal mass ejection, or CME in the Earth's magnetic field. The mass ejection from the Sun's surface was observed on Wednesday and further erruptions are expected over the next couple of weeks. The disturbance was expected to produce a geomagnetic storm rated G-3. A G-5 storm is the strongest.

NOAA Region 484 developed rapidly over the past three days and is now one of the largest sunspot clusters to emerge during Solar Cycle 23. It is about 10 times larger than the Earth. This region, which is nearing the center of the sun, already produced a major flare, R-3 on the NOAA Space Weather Scales, producing a radio blackout on October 19 at 12:50 p.m EDT.

Larry Combs, a forecaster with the NOAA Space Environment Center’s Space Weather Operations, said that this region has developed rapidly over the last three to four days. “It’s somewhat unusual to have this much activity when we’re approximately three-and-a-half years past solar maximum,” he said. “In fact, just last week, solar activity was very low with an almost spotless sun.” Solar cycles of high and low activity repeat about every eleven years, and the sun has been moving towards solar minimum for the past three years.

Further major eruptions are possible from these active regions as they rotate across the face of the sun over the next two weeks. Satellite and other spacecraft operations, power systems, high frequency communications, and navigation systems may experience disruptions over this two-week period.

The solar corona material is massive in size (they can occupy up to a quarter of the solar limb), and frequently accompanied by the remnants of an eruptive prominence, and less often by a strong solar flare. Just hours after blowing into space, a CME cloud can grow to dimensions exceeding those of the Sun itself, often as wide as 30 million miles across. As it ploughs into the solar wind, a CME can create a shock wave that accelerates particles to dangerously high energies and speeds

A CME was blamed for knocking out the Galaxy IV telecommunications satellite in May 1998 (although the satellite's maker, Hughes, has blamed a "random event"). That satellite failure temporarily disabled millions of pagers and other communications devices across the USA.

Want to pass time without internet? These mobile games are here to save the day. From trivia, puzzle to action games, here are all the best!
                        No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Check out what I found on another site:

I was walking into the Publix Supermarket bathroom and saw a retarded kid who worked there walking out with blue **** all over his face. When i walkied into the bathroom i found a half eaten blue urinal cake on the floor. So gross. :|

Comment

Thanks MM!

Comment

Thanks Zylka.

Comment

Working...
                              X