Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ding dong, merrily on high ...

A brainless title for a brainless question:

How do English native speakers pronounce the latin words "Hosanna in excelsis" in said carol?

- ek-sel-sis
    - ex-sel-sis
    - ex-tsel-sis (german)
    - egg-shell-sees (italian)

And while I'm at it: Is there someone who could post the traditional French pronounciation of Latin (as still used today in Belgium AFAIK)? I do not mean the Italian pronounciation (which is mostly used in France today) or the "modern philologist" pronounciation "Kesar and ****ro are going to the Kirkus..."
    Why doing it the easy way if it is possible to do it complicated?

I could tell you how I pronounce it, but I don't think that would be definitive to the United States in general.
    Last edited by SlowwHand; October 23, 2003, 16:23.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison
        2, but PH is from Hull, they have their own language up there!

Comment

Eerrr neerrr they deeerrrrn't!

I'd go for 2 personally, although there isn't much difference between 2 and 1.
          "Paul Hanson, you should give Gibraltar back to the Spanish" - Paiktis, dramatically over-estimating my influence in diplomatic circles.

Eyewerks - you know you want to visit. No really, you do. Go on, click me.

Comment

2 my arse. You don't pronounce the 's' twice...look in a dictionary...
            Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

*ahem*

(look at the phonetic key)
              Speaking of Erith:

Comment

After mumbling the song to myself a few times, I'm sticking with 2!

And if that isn't a scientific approach to the question, I don't know what is!

Comment

Ok, thanks guys. For some unknown reason most of the people in the choir I'm singing in goe like crazy for everything that at least remotely looks Italian (and so, version 4).

Once I even had to be a smartarse to stop Italian pronounciation in a song by a Bohemian composer by pointing out a spelling error (he wrote annunciare instead of annuntiare which is the same in German Latin pronounciation but quite different in Italian).
                  Why doing it the easy way if it is possible to do it complicated?

Comment

I sang in college choir, and we were taught 'ek-shel-sees'.

I can't vouch for the rest of Michigan.

Comment

EX-CHEL-SIS.

Comment

www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Working...
                        X