A Question About Inabilities To Spell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Question About Inabilities To Spell

RAH, this is a serious inquiry; so keep your thread locking paws off.

Rather than participate as a Spelling Nazi, let me ask a question.
    What's the damned deal?
    I'll be specific, and ask this of Americans; but you foreigners feel free to chime in.

Reading is supposed to improve one's ability to spell.
    Well, I know from posting here, some of you bastards read a lot.
    Why does that not transfer to the ability to write something understandable?
    In fact, I think computer users may be, as a group, the most piss-poor spellers I've seen.
    I don't understand.
    Someone give me the story here.

As a side question, why on God's green earth would someone come here, and ask you illiterate jackasses to correct his girl friend's writing?
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

As a side question, why on God's green earth would someone come here, and ask you illiterate jackasses to correct his girl friend's writing?

I don't get it either, although Paul Hanson did a pretty good job with it.
    KH FOR OWNER!
    ASHER FOR CEO!!
    GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Sloww, would you like to explain the purpose of the second comma in your last sentence of the first post?

I am a grammar nazi, but on the net you just have to get used to things. Typing on a PC is a lot quicker than writing something out, but mistakes will be more common and we shouldn't expect perfect English all the time, especially not from those for whom English is a second language.

Comment

Re: A Question About Inabilities To Spell

Originally posted by SlowwHand
        Girlfriend, not girl friend.

Now go away you silly person.
        (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
        (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

I don't think most people find proof-reading to be a necessity when posting in an online forum. They just jot off a response and hit [Submit Reply].
          "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
          "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
          "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

i cna spell, yuo ignerant cretin!
            B♭3

Comment

Re: Re: A Question About Inabilities To Spell

Originally posted by Urban Ranger

Girlfriend, not girl friend.

Now go away you silly person.
              A friend that's a girl.
              The spelling is ambidextrous.
              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

It can use both it's hands equally well?

"Paul Hanson, you should give Gibraltar back to the Spanish" - Paiktis, dramatically over-estimating my influence in diplomatic circles.

Eyewerks - you know you want to visit. No really, you do. Go on, click me.

Comment

I wondered who'd go for that.

Anyway, enough idle banter - I'm going to browse Sloww's other thread: Snogs for you: Cyril's Hatred.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Hanson
                    It can use both it's hands equally well?

You beat me to it.

(\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Re: A Question About Inabilities To Spell

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                      Because it's the only place I know that is choke-full of Anglo Saxons ?
                      "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                      "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                      "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Here are some Apolyton Posters now.
                        It appears to be Che and friends, staging a protest.

Comment

I think most spelling errors come from two things. 1)simple typing mistakes. 2)laziness. I am guilty of both.

I often take the time to edit my posts if there are serious spelling mistakes, and quite often I reach for my English dictionary in order to make sure that for instance 'distinguishing', a word which I have used quite often lately, is spelled correctly.

I don't mind people correcting spelling mistakes. It would be nice if people fluent in the English would also take their time to correct wrong usage and improper sentence structure. This I think would be far more constructive in the long run.

Comment

In fact Sloww, mor chi kin is Chinese for "healthily": that which nourishes the chi.

Comment

Because it's the only place I know that is choke-full of Anglo Saxons ?

"Chock-full", Spiff...
                              KH FOR OWNER!
                              ASHER FOR CEO!!
                              GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X