No announcement yet.

The "I hate the Yankees" thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What George doesn't seem to understand is that Baseball is a flukey game, and as such, damn near anything can happen in a 5 or 7 game series. Further, the more money you spend, the more you tend to run into diminishing returns.

The Yankee core has aged. Their salaries have gone up, and their performance has not. In some cases it has slipped. Giambi is clearly injured, and it killed his production this season and in the playoffs. Bernie appear to be just finding his stroke again after his injuries this year, but his defense has completely gone. Jeter is held together by ace bandages & duct tape. Posada is the only "core" Yankee who has continued to improve since the championship run of 1996, 1998-2000. Jeter's best year was '99. So was Bernie's, IIRC.

Boone is garbage. George just *had* to go get him, but the reality is that his numbers were inflated by playing at Cincy. He can't be as bad as he played in the playoffs, but he isn't particularly good. Matsui was fine. Contreras hasn't been nearly as good as was hoped - his salary is the result of a Red Sox vs. Yankees bidding war. The rest of the teams must have had a ball watching that.

The starting rotation for next year looks shaky. They've put themselves in a position where they MUST sign Pettite, which of course gives him serious bargaining power. Big contract coming. Good pitcher? Yes. Second coming of Whitey Ford? Not quite.

The bullpen sucks (aside from Mariano, of course!), and no doubt George will order his minions to seek replacements. They will spend millions on relief pitchers and likely will do about as well as other teams that hunt through the bargain bin.

The Yanks are old, and bad defensively. Their strengths are power + patience & good pitching. If the pitching slips, the wheels will fall off entirely.

The reality is that normal baseball teams ride a good team for a while and then must rebuild. The Yankees are told by their owner that they must win every year. Thus, no rebuilding. This is dangerous. The reason they started winning in the mid/late 90s after a long period of suckiness is because they finally remembered to pay attention to the farm system (currently stripped bare).

-Arrian
    grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
      The Marlins were the better team. Good for them. The Yanks were #2 this year. I can't say I'm particularly bummed about it.
      I don't think you would be saying that if your beloved Yankees hadn't won the WS in over 50 years!!!
      badams

Comment

What George doesn't seem to understand is that Baseball is a flukey game, and as such, damn near anything can happen in a 5 or 7 game series. Further, the more money you spend, the more you tend to run into diminishing returns.
        This is an excellent point, Arrian. (Just don't tell George!!!)

Until MLB gets its house in order with some sort of salary cap or other device to ensure a semblance of competitive balance, we will have to rely on the vicissitudes of short-series fortunes to keep the rich from owning the trophy.

What George's $150MM+ payroll does allow is a free pass into the playoffs. That's the real problem with our national past-pasttime.

When I look at the NBA and NFL, I see a couple leages that are doing well financially and have no problem weathering a few rebuilding seasons from major franchises (current examples include the Knicks and Bears).

The Yankees have enough money that they can literally buy all the talent they feel they need, including bidding wars and signings specifically done just to keep teams like Boston (which does spend some money) from narrowing the gap.

I'd rather see such competition on the field than than in the checkbook...
        Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
        RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Working...
        X