No announcement yet.

abortion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Orthodox Judaism is more strict about abortion, but shares this view as well, Mordoch.
    "You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."--General Sir Charles James Napier

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi
      Then show me a logical argument for abortion, skywalker.

IF you assume that a fetus isn't a person/doesn't have an inherent right to life, then abortion is okay. If you don't, it's not.

It is not a conflict of logic; it is a conflict of premises.

I don't really see any reason to view one premise as more valid than the other, so I'm neutral on this issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor
        Nothing. This is purely arbitrary, and this is a debate I refuse even to enter. Because IMHO it has nothing to do with the general debate on abortion.
        And again, that's why I think the pro-lifers are completely irrelevant to the topic.
        Yes, but why? Dude, you're talking in circles here. You dismiss the position out of hand but provide no reason why. You begin from the assumption that the statement is ridiculous, with no compelling reason to back that assumption up.

If the statement is true, it's certainly relevant, as it makes abortion at least comparable to manslaughter. If not, whatever. But why do you dismiss it out of hand.

And thanks for the correction, Ben. I knew there were pills out there that did that, but I thought the MAP was just a superstrong dose of normal birth control. The fact that it actually disposes of a developing life needs to be better-known.
        1011 1100
        Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

I can't force people to adopt black babies. Would you force them to adopt black babies?
          As I recall, Chegitz didn't even do that
          Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
          Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Mordoch

On the other hand, Reform Judaism teaches the following. During confirmation class the Rabbi at our temple advised us that according to his interpretation of passages in the Kabballa, abortions are not objectionable from a religious perspective. The reason for this is when several Rabbis are providing commentary on whether a baby being born can be killed in order to save a mothers life, one Rabbi argues that it is permissible because the baby has no soul until it draws its first breath. Since the key distinction between animals and humans is the posession of a soul, there is therefore no difference between fetuses and animals.

It certainly seems that when a fetus is recognized as a full human life depends on which religion you happen to follow.

Your abusing the view of Jews.

That is aplicable ONLY IN THE CASE OF THE LIFE OF THE MOTHER-Unless you want to discount the Talmud as being worthless-your taking it out of context.

Comment

Originally posted by Vesayen
              Your abusing the view of Jews.
              Who the heck are you to argue that you know better than a highly respected Reform Rabbi on what the religious beliefs of Jews are???!!!! To be specific, the Rabbi who gave the previously mentioned explanation is Rabbi Zwerin, the founder and head Rabbi of the second largest Reform temple in Colorado with over 1100 families as members. The only part I specificly added which I don't believe was in his original explanation is the no distinction between animal life and fetuses. Here's a much more comprehensive article co-written by Rabbi Zwerin with the following conclusion.

For Judaism, the evidence in matters of abortion, then, is reasonably clear. The legal and rabbinic teachings tend to depict the fetus as simply part of a woman's body...The fetus is not a person, it has nor rights.

While the passages under discussion involved whether a baby can be killed to spare a mother's life, if a baby has no soul until it draws it first breath, this is true regardless of the circumstances of the question being asked. The Rabbi in the previously passage of the Kabalah did not suggest that the statement applied only in that circumstance, but left it open as a general statement.

The Orthodox Jews argue that fetuses can be killed only in circustances where otherwise the mother's life is at risk, but Reform Judaism has a different interpretation. Some Orthodox Jews might argue that they are the only true Jews, but this is obviously the sort of thing that happens with other religions as well. I suggest examining the linked to article before arguing that this Jewish interpretation on abortion has no basis behind it.
              Last edited by Mordoch; October 25, 2003, 18:59.

Comment

Working...
              X