I want to change part of my diet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Osweld
    If you eat any meat at all, you don't have to worry about protien. Even if you go vegetarian, you don't have to worry about it as long as you have a varied diet. Protein is over hyped, the western diet has way more then you ever need in the first place.
    Read my entire initial post.

I'm not worried about not getting enough protein -- what I want to do, is change my diet to get protein from low-fat, low-cholesterol sources.
    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Originally posted by vlad
      Beans are not a complete protein
      ...nor is rice. However, beans & rice together do make a complete protein.

I myself like lots of chicken, broiled or baked, not fried.

Comment

you guys beat me to all the gay jokes

and vlad gave good advice
        We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

I second the beans and rice.

beans contain most proteins, but lack one. Rice compliments that.

so feel free to eat beans and rice and be satisfied you are getting all your proteins.

Comment

My advice:

Leave the nuts alone. Dont touch them at all.
            Don't even put them in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by Dissident
              I second the beans and rice.

beans contain most proteins, but lack one. Rice compliments that.

so feel free to eat beans and rice and be satisfied you are getting all your proteins.
              sounds good

But what type of rice has more protein -- wild rice, white rice, brown rice??

Comment

Soybeans are complete protein...

If you are getting away from meat the best substitute is the soybean.

Just check out any health food section of any supermarket, and you'll see that the number of choices of foods made from soybeans is almost limitless.

Comment

Tuna and salmon are the best protein sources around, and are virtually fat-free.

You really don't need that much protein unless you are a serious weightlifter or athlete. In fact, in the absence or lack of protein, the body will produce the essential amino acids that are lacking.

But, almost nobody suffers from lack of protein in a western diet as it's in just about everything- most vegetables included.
                  "Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Jac de Molay

You really don't need that much protein unless you are a serious weightlifter or athlete. In fact, in the absence or lack of protein, the body will produce the essential amino acids that are lacking.

But, almost nobody suffers from lack of protein in a western diet as it's in just about everything- most vegetables included.
                    Wow all those years I have studied nutrition and physiology and I have never heard that big of a load of crap. Your body can't produce anything without the building blocks, thats like saying if your car runs out of gas it will just use the oil in the engine to make more There are NO proteins in most veggies and the western diet is HIGHLY lacking in proper protein because it's so over saturated with carbs and improper man-made fats. This is why we have a fat, heart attack ridden society. The more you overeat carbs the fatter you get simple as that, the more bad fats you ingest the worse the arteries will be clogged, and add on top of that all the preservatives and extra chemical agents in store bought food and you are just asking for a stroke, low sperm count and 50 other bad diseases that will make you suffer. Study after study has shown lower carbs, higher protein and in general less calories keeps you living longer and healthier.
                    Ok enough of a lecture for today, carry on students

Comment

There are NO proteins in most veggies
                      http://www.annecollins.com/protein_d...vegetables.htm

Your body can't produce anything without the building blocks, thats like saying if ut of gas it will just use the oil in the engine to make more

http://www.immunesupport.com/glossary/a.htm

"Amino Acids
                      Chemical molecules which combine to form the various proteins. There are 22 common amino acids. The human body can synthesize (manufacture) 14 of them. The other 8 must come from the diet and are therefore called essential amino acids. See: Amino Acid Complex "

The body does NOT produce amino acids from protein alone, nor is protein necessarily a requirement for the ones it produces.

and the western diet is HIGHLY lacking in proper protein because it's so over saturated with carbs and improper man-made fats.
                      That is just abject nonsense. If anything, we consume way too much protein on a daily basis, and most of it is excreted through the kidneys. The western diet is NOT lacking in protein because various meats and dairy play such a prevalent role. Cite a few legitimate studies, and I might buy into this crap.

Study after study has shown lower carbs, higher protein and in general less calories keeps you living longer and healthier.
                      Studies have also that simply eating a balanced diet, regardless of protein, has the same effect. What does one's daily protein content have to do with anything? If anything, consuming more meat and dairy based proteins is worse because of the very thing you mentioned- the presence of hormones, steroids, preservatives..etc.
                      "Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.

Comment

EDIT: Drat, beaten!

Originally posted by vlad

Wow all those years I have studied nutrition and physiology and I have never heard that big of a load of crap.
                        I'm sorry, but my PHD in internet surfing trumps your grade 8 biology class.

The Building Blocks of Life

Protein is an important nutrient required for the building, maintenance, and repair of tissues in the body. Amino acids, the building blocks of protein, can be synthesized by the body or ingested from food. There are 20 different amino acids in the food we eat, but our body can only make 11 of them. The 9 essential amino acids which cannot be produced by the body must be obtained from the diet. A variety of grains, legumes, and vegetables can also provide all of the essential amino acids our bodies require. It was once thought that various plant foods had to be eaten together to get their full protein value, otherwise known as protein combining or protein complementing. Intentional combining is not necessary to obtain all of the essential amino acids.1 As long as the diet contains a variety of grains, legumes, and vegetables, protein needs are easily met.

Protein Requirements

With the traditional Western diet, the average American consumes about double the protein her or his body needs. Additionally, the main sources of protein consumed tend to be animal products which are also high in fat and saturated fat. Most individuals are surprised to learn that protein needs are actually much less than what they have been consuming.
                        Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Originally posted by centrifuge
                          Soybeans are complete protein...

If you are getting away from meat the best substitute is the soybean.

Just check out any health food section of any supermarket, and you'll see that the number of choices of foods made from soybeans is almost limitless.
                          ok

Comment

Get some miso soup, Mr. Fun. It's made out of soybeans and it's good and good for you.
                            KH FOR OWNER!
                            ASHER FOR CEO!!
                            GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

bah! nothing beats quinoa:

Nutritionists have discovered that quinoa is low in sugar and starch and high in fiber and unsaturated fats. It contains many essential vitamins and minerals. The thing that has the experts most excited, however, is the amount of protein in quinoa. It does, in fact, contain fifty percent more protein than wheat, rice and barley and that protein is of superior quality. It contains an ideal balance of the amino acids that are needed by the human body. It includes the amino acid lysine which is rarely found in vegetable protein and normally only found in meat, fish and eggs. Quinoa is also a good source of phosphorous, calcium, iron, vitamin E and several of the B vitamins.

----

Quinoa has a unique, nutty taste. It is ideal as a breakfast cereal. It can also be used as an addition to a cold salad, served hot with meals or sweet as a dessert. Quinoa can also be ground into flour form. The flour can then be mixed with water to provide a nutritious meal on the run. The flour can also be made into energy rich biscuits and bread. The people of the Andes also boil the quinoa with an egg to provide a healthy meal. Tortillas are even made with quinoa.
                              Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

What about the other part of MrFun's diet: cholesterol? I know the kneejerk recommendation in the past has been to simply eat less cholesterol and saturated fat to lower cholesterol levels. Is this still considered correct?

The puzzling thing about cholesterol is that I know it comes soley from animal sources, however clearly the body can manufacture its own. Cows eat nothing but a vegetarian diet and they're loaded with the stuff. So what controls the level of cholesterol?

Comment

Working...
                                X