Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First discovery of a new electricity source in more than 160 years...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

St_swithin....you're awesome!

-=Vel=-
    (and sign me up for that fan club!)
    The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.

Comment

I wonder how many flavours those quarktets are gonna come in...probably a multiple of 5.
      -30-

Comment

you have to take baby steps before you can sprint people

don't hate congratulate
        We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by Q Cubed
          i don't see the same result with h. too many people will be using the old cars, using old engines, and gasoline will be cheaper, at least for the first few years, if not permanently.
          Economic incentives could do wonders
          (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
          (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

i mention that:

unless it's heavily subsidized by the government, even as it runs at heavy losses for several years, the infrastructure will not develop.
            B♭3

Comment

Why not? I'm just as big a geek as the next guy.

You have a better sense of absurd timing than the other people here.

It certainly has nothing to do with you being a woman. I don't treat Q Cubed any different because she's a chick.
              KH FOR OWNER!
              ASHER FOR CEO!!
              GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

It certainly has nothing to do with you being a woman. I don't treat Q Cubed any different because she's a chick.

what makes you think i'm a girl?
                B♭3

Comment

Q^3 is a woman?

(\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                  (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                  (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Oh yeah, BTW

The first new one in "160 years"? So nuclear power was not found within the last 160 years? I assume ol' Ben Franklin drew up the designs for a nuclear power plant, eh?

Hasn't electricity (the harnessing of it) only been around for so much longer than that, anyways?
                    meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

Q^3 is a woman?

might explain why i don't have a thing for britney, if ted striker's to be believed.

but my gf thinks i have a flat chest. i just asked.
                      B♭3

Comment

Originally posted by mrmitchell
                        Oh yeah, BTW

The first new one in "160 years"? So nuclear power was not found within the last 160 years? I assume ol' Ben Franklin drew up the designs for a nuclear power plant, eh?

Hasn't electricity (the harnessing of it) only been around for so much longer than that, anyways?
                        The thing about nuclear power is nuclear fission does not actually produce electricity. A nuclear reactor is essentually a big heater.

It is a generator spun by a steam turbine that produces the electricty. That method of producing electricity has been around for a while.

Comment

Q^3: ask your gf if you have no a55 too.

DT: must have been all those episodes of Monty Python's I viewed as a child, seeping into my present-day absurdity.

Vel: You're my new hero!!
                          -30-

Comment

*contemplates being St_Swithin's hero*

-=Vel=-
                            The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.

Comment

Re: First discovery of a new electricity source in more than 160 years...

Originally posted by Asher

The benefits look great, at least for devices with low current requirements, given that the technology matures. Can the physics-types here give their opinion on this?

Also see the BBC article and The Globe & Mail.
                              Yeah. My opinion is that

a) They'll never get close to the energy density of a battery using this method.

b) We already have a method of generating power via pressure differential; it's called a turbine, and is almost certainly more efficient.

c) Who the hell wants water flowing through an electronic device?

It's interesting but silly. I can guarantee that turbulence going to heating up waterflow is stealing more energy from you than is reasonable.
                              12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                              Stadtluft Macht Frei
                              Killing it is the new killing it
                              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

KrazyHorse - how could it even work at all? Would the water have to be flowing continuously for it to store energy? Isn't it no different from using a flywheel as a battery? Won't it stop because of friction?

Comment

Working...
                                X