Scientists Develop Atomic Scale Memory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scientists Develop Atomic Scale Memory

Before you say you already knew about this and its old, a happy Billy Connolly "**** off* to you.

Now, I found this article interesting. http://www.news.wisc.edu/releases/view.html?id=7774

I have heard of a few new different ways of storing data, and now I hear about this one. Well, which is going to be the one to use? Which is the better one?
    be free

ok...let's talk about this. I am lubricated.

Comment

It is interesting but the article doesn't really 'deal with' one of the largest problems inherent in the system.
      ie: The heat dissipation.

If your data construct exists in such small dimensions then your wavelengths used to probe it must be likewise, hence a conversely high frequency and associated heat build-up.

Practical applications are still a long way off as maintaining system stability comes at the cost of the rate at which you can read it.

[Edit: Hit submit too soon. ]
      Last edited by ravagon; October 20, 2003, 23:49.

Comment

What about thermal variation. I mean does the structure stay stable or does it change over time. This may start to become an issue with very small transformers. The atoims can migrate./

Comment

Apparently, you were inspired by this?

I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

I hate that gold-ornginc crap.

Comment

Why?
              I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

neat website
                Pentagenesis for Civ III
                Pentagenesis for Civ IV in progress
                Pentagenesis Gallery

Comment

Great stuff, both of these.

The first one looks like can be used to construct highly resistent memory cubes. The second one could be a replacement for Flash RAM or even RAM.
                  (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                  (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                  (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by ravagon
                    Practical applications are still a long way off ...
                    If I can't buy it, it doesn't exist.

Comment

Working...
                    X