64=65

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 64=65

My mom sent me an interesting e-mail today which evidently proves that 64 is equal to 65. It takes a picture of an 8x8 square cuts it into sections and then puts it all back together to create a 5x13 rectangle.

now

8x8=64
    and
    5x13=65

I even drew the two rectangles on paper and counted the blocks one by one labling them as I went along proving what we already know 8x8=64 and 5x13=65. Now Im pretty sure a block isnt just going to go poof and appear so I need your help to figure out what happend to it.

and if its obvious feel free to point and laugh at me all you want
    Attached Files

It is an optical illusion, the segments are not all the same size in both pictures, slightly larger in the second.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

that still doesnt explain where an extra block came from

Comment

The extra size of the segments is equal in area to the size of one block.

ACK!
        Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Naive little world

That's an optical illusion?

Comment

can you point out to me the extra block then?

Comment

I mean you cant just say its an optical illusion and then say case closed I need proof darnit!

Comment

The problem is you're looking for an extra block, when it's not a single extra block. If it was it'd be easy to find.

Since each shape is ever-so-slightly larger, the combined effect is an effective extra block, but you can't point it out.
                "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Notice the one on the right is larger...
                  Attached Files

Comment

Actaully, this is a well known mathematical theorm, with the answer being that the arrangement is not perfect in the second picture. A parallelogram of area 1 has been created by the cuts. Check out http://mspetkovic.tripod.com/problems.html
                    for it as well.
                    "Dave, if medicine tasted good, I'd be pouring cough syrup on my pancakes." -Jimmy James, Newsradio

"Your plans to find love, fortune, and happiness utterly ignore the Second Law Of Thermodynamics."-Horiscope from The Onion

Comment

thanks gopher!

asher, those picutres are from two different sections on the red piece what are you trying to prove??

Comment

It's the same section of the green piece, pay close attention to the hypotenuse of the green piece and notice and it does not form the exact same shape in the second picture.

Comment

oh, hehe, right the green block. The red one just sticks out so much, sorry about that asher.

Comment

Basically the slope of the hypotenuse of red and green pcs and the oblique side of the orange and blue pieces are not equal.

8/3 does not equal 5/2
                            Visit First Cultural Industries
                            There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
                            Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

That's not even close to an optical illusion. There's a huge bloody gash through the second picture.
                              Världsstad - Dom lokala genrenas vän
                              Mick102, 102,3 Umeå, Måndagar 20-21

Comment

Working...
                              X