Snoring.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snoring.

So am I the only one who's gotten complaints over the years from girlfriends, roommates, friends, and family members about snoring? I find it really annoying and embarrassing because it's not like there's anything I can do to stop it. Well, I have tried those sprays which you use before going to sleep but they're expensive and you have to use them EVERY SINGLE TIME you go to sleep.

I'm considering getting that new laser treatment which is supposed to stop snoring for the rest of your life but I'd like to hear what everyone else thinks about it. Have any of you had this procedure before and were there any side effects? My insurance wouldn’t cover it since it's an elective procedure but the cost is only about $1000 so I can cover it. If I'm going to spend the money though I want to make sure it's safe and effective. Any advice anyone?
    Last edited by Dinner; October 24, 2003, 07:15.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Let me know how the laser thing is, if that's how you go.
    Those strips are pretty good, but I pull them off in my sleep.
    Now I just smoke and drink to the wee hours, go to sleep on my right side, don't move, and don't snore.
    I don't think.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

According to a website I've consulted, it is frequent to go to the hospital a few days after the operation, even if it was well done. Also if the operation is botched, there are risks that your voice transforms a little, and that some of the liquid you drink will exit through the nose (this last side-effect is supposed to last a few days at most)
      "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
      "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
      "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

It depends on why you're snoring. Get a sleep apnea test first, before you have surgery done. My dad has sleep apnea and so does Theben. Bunnygrrl thinks I do to, since I stop breathing in my sleep and also snore very loudly.

What's really bothering me is something that started happening about two years ago. I've started mini-regurgitating in my sleep, and then inhaling it. Four times now I've woken up coking on vomit (and never when I've been drinking). At least once, I had taken a Pepcid complete before going to bed. Stomach acid on your larynx is really unpleasant.
        Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

I practically lived with my ex girlfriend for a year and she never told me I stopped breathing in my sleep nor did any of my old college roommates. As I understand it sleep apnea is when part of the throat or snynus pathway closes up during sleep thus preventing breathing. I believe sleep apnea, like snoring, can become worse when people gain weight.

I have gained weight over the last 2-3 years but I'm not that over weight and sleep apnea doesn't run in my family. Aparently snoring does though since both my father and grandfather snore/d like bears.

Comment

Just an update I'm getting this done today. The total cost is just under $1200 and the recovery time usually takes about 5-7 days with common side effects mainly being a sore throat feeling and possibily disscomfort while swollowing for the first day or two. They use a laser to reduce the size of the uvula and the surrounding tissue thus reducing or preventing snoring. Supposedly 80% of the people who undergo this proceedure stop snoring entirely, 15% have reduced snoring, and 5% it doesn't effect at all.

Hopefully I won't be one of the 5%.

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
              Four times now I've woken up coking on vomit (and never when I've been drinking).
              Ewww.....

Good luck Oerdin! Seems like a pretty hefty price just to stop snoring, but if it bothers you (or a SO) that much I guess it's worth it. My wife just smacks me and I turn on my side. That's cheaper.
              "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
              "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
              "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

Do you still have your tonsils? I used to snore pretty loudly, but after I was diagnosed with mild sleep apnea they took out my tonsils and now I don't snore anymore. Don't have apnea anymore either, which is probably more important, now that I think about it.
                KH FOR OWNER!
                ASHER FOR CEO!!
                GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Yep, I still have my tonsils but the doctor told me my tossils are very small. Unfortunately, my uvula is unusually large thus my snoring problem and my SO's inability to sleep through the night.

Comment

Mine was pretty much the opposite. I had abnormally large tonsils which were blocking off my airway at night. I'm glad I got rid of them.
                    KH FOR OWNER!
                    ASHER FOR CEO!!
                    GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
                      It depends on why you're snoring. Get a sleep apnea test first, before you have surgery done. My dad has sleep apnea and so does Theben. Bunnygrrl thinks I do to, since I stop breathing in my sleep and also snore very loudly.

What's really bothering me is something that started happening about two years ago. I've started mini-regurgitating in my sleep, and then inhaling it. Four times now I've woken up coking on vomit (and never when I've been drinking). At least once, I had taken a Pepcid complete before going to bed. Stomach acid on your larynx is really unpleasant.
                      You should definitely go to the doctor. My father-in-law used to snore a lot, and when he went to the doctor he found out he has bad sleep apnea. It can be pretty serious because your brain's oxygen supply can go down to almost nothing.

Mmmm...this could explain why you're still a commie.
                      ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
                      ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

My years of snoring came close to ruining my marriage. Went to the doctor and he recommended that before I try surgery or waste any more money on sprays and nose strips, that I simply lose some weight. 20 lbs later - no more snoring!

So I would second the go-the-doctor opinion.

Comment

chegitz, people have died from that. stop doing drugs.

Comment

Remember Bonn Scott!
                            ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
                            ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

The enemy cannot push a button if you disable his hand.

Comment

Working...
                              X