Did World War 2 Humble Germany?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did World War 2 Humble Germany?

I get that impression that Germany has become humbled by its bad history, is that true or not?
    be free

more like neutered.
    :-p

Comment

All of the Germans I know except one view being proud of their country as something to be ashamed of.

Comment

Neutered doesn't go far enough. "Sex-change operation" is more accurate.
        KH FOR OWNER!
        ASHER FOR CEO!!
        GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Well, probably that plus being split for 50 years
          meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

Originally posted by Trip
            All of the Germans I know except one view being proud of their country as something to be ashamed of.
            i dont see why it should be that way.
            :-p

Comment

yeah

duh
              We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
                Neutered doesn't go far enough. "Sex-change operation" is more accurate.
                Exactly.

The Germans have very deeply changed since WW2. They have tried to open their society. Authority and Discipline are not German values anymore. The quick appropriation of the American lifestyle, and of as many English words as possible, also show that something tagged as "German" is somehow shameful.

Besides, what Trip said is true. The Germans are nothing like what they were 60 years ago, save for the work ethics.

But when arriving in power 5 years ago, Schröder has tried to decomplex the German population, by trying to have the Germans proud of their non-nazi achievements. The Germans seem to begin rediscovering that they have brought many good things to the world too. At last.
                "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

but is that really a good thing?

it could lead to a rise in nationalism.

Comment

so is german nationalism bad? how about american nationalism? what about nationalism in general?
                    "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                    'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

It did. But did Vietnam humble USA?
                      So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
                      Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

No.
                        Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
                        Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

it did for a few years until reagon took office.

and yes german nationalism isn't as bad as american nationalism only because they don't have the military to back it up

Comment

Dissident:
                            I think it is a good think for two reasons:

1. The Germans don't deserve to live in a permanent guilt and weep. This country brought many great things to the world (impressive literature, science, philosophy, industry), and not only the most horrible deed of modernity. To acknowledge this heritage is to do it justice.
                            Besides, the guilt has gotten so much out of hand that it was frowned upon to merely state the allies weren't purely nice guys, or to dare criticize today's Israel or Jewish Community (several well known Germans were called "antisemite" -probably the worst insult for a German- because they dared do this). It is impossible to have a serious debate on many issues with that.

2. If the governments don't reinstill a feeling of national pride progressively, some chancer would do it brutally at the first political crisis. I think it is much better to have a reasonable German pride, than some revisionist horror claiming that Germany is always right, the exact opposite that what the Germans believed for the past 60 years

And no, I'm no friend with Schröder's gov
                            "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                            "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                            "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor
                              If the governments don't reinstill a feeling of national pride progressively, some chancer would do it brutally at the first political crisis. I think it is much better to have a reasonable German pride, than some revisionist horror claiming that Germany is always right, the exact opposite that what the Germans believed for the past 60 years
                              That's a good point.
                              (\__/)
                              (='.'=)
                              (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Working...
                              X