Pope Beatifies Mother Teresa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pope Beatifies Mother Teresa

Latest World news news, comment and analysis from the Guardian, the world's leading liberal voice

Joyous Pope Beatifies Mother Teresa

Sunday October 19, 2003 12:31 PM

By FRANCES D'EMILIO

Associated Press Writer

VATICAN CITY (AP) - Pope John Paul II, struggling to celebrate Mass but looking joyous, beatified Mother Teresa during a ceremony Sunday in St. Peter's Square - bestowing one of his church's highest honors on the nun who cared for society's downtrodden.

In a shaky and halting voice, John Paul managed to proclaim Mother Teresa blessed, the last major step on the path to sainthood. But after stumbling through several prayers, he let aides read all of his homily, including a tribute to ``this courageous woman.''

Mother Teresa won the 1979 Nobel Peace Prize for her charity work in India and elsewhere. She died in 1997.

Police and Vatican security officials estimated the crowd at 300,000, one of the Vatican's largest. After a night of rain, the sun was shining Sunday and thousands of tourists and Romans streamed toward the square even after the ceremony began.

John Paul, wheeled in an upholstered chair across the front steps of St. Peter's Basilica toward an altar sheltered by a canopy, seemed pleased by the jubilant crowd.

``Brothers and sisters, even in our days God inspires new models of sainthood,'' John Paul told the crowd. ``Some impose themselves for their radicalness, like that offered by Mother Teresa of Calcutta, whom today we add to the ranks of the blessed.''

``In her, we perceive the urgency to put oneself in a state of service, especially for the poorest and most forgotten, the last of the last,'' John Paul said, speaking in a slow and shaky voice.

Nuns from her order wiped away tears and the crowd clapped when he pronounced her blessed. A poster of her smiling, wrinkled face was unveiled to the crowd from the facade of the basilica.

Parkinson's disease has stiffened the pope's facial muscles, and he no longer stands or walks in public because of hip and knee ailments.

In his homily, read by Bombay Cardinal Ivan Dias and others, John Paul said he was ``personally grateful to this courageous woman whom I have always felt at my side.''

Another cardinal substituted for the pope in saying some of the Mass prayers, further evidence of the pope's diminished stamina. After a week of several long ceremonies to mark 25 years in the papacy, John Paul faces another test of his strength Tuesday, when he is to lead a long ceremony to install 30 new cardinals.

Hundreds of nuns from the Missionaries of Charity, the order established by Mother Teresa in 1949 to tend to the destitute, sang hymns with gusto.

Front-row seats were reserved for VIPs, including Queen Fabiola of Belgium, royalty from Liechtenstein and Jordan, the presidents of Albania, Macedonia and Kosovo - in homage to Mother Teresa's roots in the Balkans - and about 2,000 of the poor from shelters run by Mother Teresa's followers, including one inside the Vatican's walls.

Also attending the ceremony were Muslim and Orthodox Christian delegations from Albania.

Mother Teresa, an ethnic Albanian, was born in what is now Skopje, Macedonia. She spent most of her life working in India and established convents and homes for the needy around the world.

The pope put her on the fast track toward sainthood; breaking with the church practice of waiting five years after a candidate's death before starting the often decades-long process of beatification, the last formal step before declaring someone a saint.

Last year he confirmed the required miracle for her beatification, the recovery of an Indian woman who was being treated for what doctors said was an incurable abdominal tumor. A second miracle is needed for elevation to sainthood.

In an interview with The Associated Press a few days before the beatification, the woman, Monica Besra, recounted how nuns from Mother Teresa's order tied a medal with her image around her waist and prayed. The day was exactly one year after Mother Teresa's death.

``That day I fell asleep and I had a deep sleep,'' said Besra, who embraced Catholicism after her recovery. ``When I woke up, I touched my stomach and I found that the tumor was no more. And I felt light.'' John Paul has stressed the importance of fresh role models for his flock in the third millennium, and three of those he has propelled along the path to sainthood were active in the latter half of the 20th century. In addition to Mother Teresa, an Italian mystic monk, Padre Pio, and the Spanish priest who founded the conservative religious organization Opus Dei, Josemaria Escriva de Balaguer, had huge followings among Catholics.

Mother Teresa ``gave up a lot to do God's work,'' said American visitor Dennis Hunt, pushing his infant son, Andrew in a stroller as he made his way to the square.

Hunt, a member of the U.S. Air Force who came from Ramstein Air Base in Germany along with wife, Annette, convinced his parents to come from Chippewa Falls, Wisc., to join him at the beatification.
    Not sure about this tying icons around the stomach business, but surely Mother Theresa deserves sainthood. Any objections?
    "We are living in the future, I'll tell you how I know, I read it in the paper, Fifteen years ago" - John Prine

Sounds fair to me...maybe the Pope hasnt completely lost it yet
    Desperados of the world, unite. You have nothing to lose but your dignity.......

Comment

Well, Mother Theresa has done quite a few bad things (she refused to modernise her hospital, and as a result many people could not be healed; she was quite nuts on the doctrine and highly proselytist), but I think she should have achieved Sainthood already, if only because she incarnates on the TV everything that is good in the catholic Church.
      Her image is so great, it's a wonder JP2 hasn't canonised her already.
      "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
      "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
      "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Don't you have had to perform a miracle to become a Saint? Or is this another area the church is 'modernizing'?

Comment

Static, Static. I see you're a beginner at this. Now, for this to have worked the title should have been "Mother Theresa should not have been Beatified", and the first post should have included several baseless accusations about nuns and sadomasochism.
          Världsstad - Dom lokala genrenas vän
          Mick102, 102,3 Umeå, Måndagar 20-21

Comment

Originally posted by Buck Birdseed
            Static, Static. I see you're a beginner at this. Now, for this to have worked the title should have been "Mother Theresa should not have been Beatified", and the first post should have included several baseless accusations about nuns and sadomasochism.
            I'm TRYING to stoke it up a little!

Comment

Originally posted by reds4ever
              Don't you have had to perform a miracle to become a Saint? Or is this another area the church is 'modernizing'?
              You need two miracles.

Her first miracle occured when Mother Theresa followers tied a picture of her around the abdomen of a woman and the tumor there miraculously disappeared after she received medical treatment.

Wacky Catholics.
              "We are living in the future, I'll tell you how I know, I read it in the paper, Fifteen years ago" - John Prine

Comment

Christopher Hitchens wrote an entire delightful book trashing Mother Teresa called Missionary Position. There's a good interview with him about it here: http://www.lipmagazine.org/articles/featpostel_56_p.htm
                "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

I had an article arounnd somewhere, quoted it here before, can't find it now. It had allegations from folks who had spent time in her "hospices", claiming she routinely witheld painkillers because she felt that through experiencing pain, you experience Jesus.

There were also mind-boggling accounts of the pettiness of her penny-pinching policies inflicted on her staff (e.g. accounting records done with pencil on paper, when paper is full, it is erased and re-used), unanswered questions about where the mountains of money go, etc.

She certainly did not sound like much of a "saint" ...
                  Official Homepage of the HiRes Graphics Patch for Civ2

Comment

Amazing. She dedicates her life to helping the poor, but of course then because she isn't modern enough, she is demonized here. Guess I shouldn't have expected anything less though on a board so rabidly anti-Catholic that it puts Jack Chick to shame.
                    "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Comment

It's not that she "isn't modern enough".

The specific allegations are:

1. Most of the money donated to her charity ended up in the coffers of the Vatican (or somewhere). Not much of it actually got to the needy.

2. She deliberately allowed people to die in screaming agony, without pain relief. She thought that suffering was holy.

Comment

Originally posted by Buck Birdseed

OKay who would win in a no holds barred fight between Mother Teresa and Ghandi?!?!
                        We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Christopher Hitchens has made an industry of claiming to look at a person or issue "with an open mind", saying "oh my goodness, look what I found", and then throwing buckets of **** on everybody in sight. Lets look at some recent effort's from Rufus' link:

Calcutta has the reputation as being a complete hell hole thanks to Mother Teresa. ... What a pity that Mother Teresa should have given this great city such a bad name and made us feel condescending toward it.
                          Looks like no good deed goes unpunished.

Then I noticed her get the Nobel Prize for Peace though she had never done anything for peace.
                          This hardly needs comment.

we found that an amazing number of her crimes against humanity were actually on film. ... film of her going to Albania and laying a wreath at the tomb of the dictator ... film of her groveling to the Duvaliers and flattering ... film of her jetting around on Charles Keating’s plane which he used to lend her...
                          This is certainly a different understanding of crimes against humanity.

After doing a similar hatchet job on a number of fromer friends from the Clinton Administration, Hitchens recently wondered in a Washington Post interview why nobody seems to want to speak with him any more. The guy must be utterly clueless.
                          Old posters never die.
                          They j.u.s.t..f..a..d..e...a...w...a...y....

Comment

i think that this is just an example of catholicism coming death.
                            "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                            'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

I read the title as "Pope Beautifies Mother Teresa" and was all "How the hell can he beautify her? She's been a corpse for 6 years!"

Comment

Working...
                              X