Videogames combat phobias!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Videogames combat phobias!

Yes, now it's official. Half-life and other games can conquer your fears, or at least that's what cnn says:

Regular, off-the-shelf computer video games are an effective method of treating people's fears, using a style of therapy that exposes people to what scares them in a controlled setting, according to a new study released on Friday.

The researchers used the game "Half-Life" to create a spider-laden environment for arachnophobic people, and "Unreal Tournament" to simulate heights for acrophobics and tight spaces for claustrophobics.

Well, there. I thought it was neat.
    Talent Optional

Hmm, I played half life to death, completed it, and then went off to play a real painball game, thinking it would be just the same (afterall, paint won't kill you).

How wrong I was ..

After 5 minutes id been hit between the eyes, and it slowly dawned on me ... I was dead if that was real.

Never did seem to pick up the courage to charge after that.. those that did, had the bruises to show for it later.

Brilliant day though, have to say if you've not done paintball before, you have to try it out. Just don't expect half life to give you any advantage..
    "Wherever wood floats, you will find the British" . Napoleon

Comment

Neat.
      Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

yeeeeah, NO. Ive played plenty of games with spiders and heights in them and Im still very afraid of both.

Comment

I got rid of my fears by going into isolation for five weeks and then meditating heavily upon all my faults. I used to have to restrain the urge to bolt from spiders. Now I think they're cute.
          Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
          "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

So does Civ do anything?
            Visit First Cultural Industries
            There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
            Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

One problem to this kind of approach: I have acrophobia while playing video games. I cant stand having to see my character fall off a height thats tens times higher than his height
              :-p

Comment

Originally posted by The Viceroy
                Hmm, I played half life to death, completed it, and then went off to play a real painball game, thinking it would be just the same (afterall, paint won't kill you).

How wrong I was ..

After 5 minutes id been hit between the eyes, and it slowly dawned on me ... I was dead if that was real.

Never did seem to pick up the courage to charge after that.. those that did, had the bruises to show for it later.

Brilliant day though, have to say if you've not done paintball before, you have to try it out. Just don't expect half life to give you any advantage..
                How typical. I knew some losers who thought they could be good at paintball/sniping in real life just because they took great command with their mouse and keyboard. They make me laugh. At least you learned

At least you got shot between the eye for you first paintball experience. If you were wearing a decent face mask you wouldnt have felt a thing. My first time playing skirmish w/ modified airsoft guns, I was shot by an automatic shot that went all the way from my cheek down to my neck to my thigh at point blank range. and I was only wearing a T-shirt and goggles you wear in shooting ranges.
                :-p

Comment

Don't play Spider-man.
                  -30-

Comment

At least you got shot between the eye for you first paintball experience. If you were wearing a decent face mask you wouldnt have felt a thing.

precisely.

Oh, and you're both right. Sure video games don't make you an elite fighter or whatever, but that's not what the article claimed. It claimed that it helps to conquer your fears.

And what's with the knowledge that you'd be dead if you were hit by a real bullet? OF COURSE YOU'D BE DEAD.
                    urgh.NSFW

Comment

And what's with the knowledge that you'd be dead if you were hit by a real bullet?

I think what he means is, that how surpising easy and quick one can get killed...and that bullets don't discriminate.
                      Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                      Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Thanks Alva .. yes, thats exactly what I meant.

I did have a face mask on, and it still stung like hell.

I don't think I went into it thinking id be ace though, what I was talking about was being fearless ..
                        "Wherever wood floats, you will find the British" . Napoleon

Comment

Originally posted by Smiley
                          So does Civ do anything?
                          Yeah, it causes you to lose your fear of building up an empire from the stone age
                          Last edited by Case; October 18, 2003, 08:44.
                          'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
                          - Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Comment

I think what he means is, that how surpising easy and quick one can get killed...and that bullets don't discriminate.

Yeah, well, I don't think that thinking about death while playing paintball is smart.

which remind me... faded liked paintballing.... *sigh*
                            urgh.NSFW

Comment

I no longer have any fear of seeing myself from outside myself.
                              American by birth, smarter than the average tropical fruit by the grace of Me. -me
                              I try not to break the rules but merely to test their elasticity. -- Bill Veeck | Don't listed to the Linux Satanist, people. - St. Leo | If patching security holes was the top priority of any of us(no matter the OS), we'd do nothing else. - Me, in a tired and accidental attempt to draw fire from all three sides.
                              Posted with Mozilla Firebird running under Sawfish on a Slackware Linux install.:p
                              XGalaga.

Comment

Working...
                              X