Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

As Bolivian unrest grows, I have to ask the question:Where is the International Left?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Damn smartass. Go sit in the corner, and think very well about what you've just said.
    urgh.NSFW

Comment

Yes, sir. I'm so sorry! Really, I am.

Comment

Sorry, I won't spam my own thread any further.

It seems that backpackers from all over the world are trying to get en masse out of the country.
        urgh.NSFW

Comment

Bolivia has had a very strong peasant based protest movement for about 50 years. In 1954, they actually overthrew the government. The military overthrew that about twelve years later, stablishing a rather ferocious dictatorship, which was replaced one after another until we got to the Cocaine Coup fo Hugo Banzer (of Klaus Barbie fame).

Since then, and even before, the peasants haven't been shy about marhcing onthe capital and making their feelins known. I met the leader of the peasant women's union. Very tiny, small, powerful woman, old, and tough.

The liberal Spanish professors at my university brought her to speak, and she scared the bejeezuz out of them with her stories. Peasants don't **** around politically. She had expected to come to the U.S. to go on a tour to raise money for her union, but the liberals packed her on the first plane back to Bolivia. Stupid liberals. We tried to rescue her, but were unable to do so.
          Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

I don't understand why selling something that you don't need to someone who is willing to pay for it is bad.

The peasants did not think they would get enough benefits out of the contracts signed: ie, they were going to get shortchanged by the buyers. Anyone can understand that.

But we must not let the popular will command!

The guy lost support the second he called the army out and people begun to get shot.

Interestingly enough, has anyone started any threads about the recent elections in Azerbaijan and the violence that followed?
            If you don't like reality, change it! me
            "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
            "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
            "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Hopefully they manage to do *something* truly worthwhile and lasting for their people then this time, and not just nationalize and expropiate everything in sight and gain themselves an embargo, at the very least....
              DULCE BELLUM INEXPERTIS

Comment

With any luck, they'll take back their utilities from the multinationals, or at least get some much needed regulation to save their economy from being utterly gutted.

Comment

I bet the minute the Lefties start wining in an election there, Shrub is gonna send the CIA to rig the elections to please his corporate masters. Dare I say Contra #2?

Comment

Originally posted by Odin
                    I bet the minute the Lefties start wining in an election there, Shrub is gonna send the CIA to rig the elections to please his corporate masters. Dare I say Contra #2?
                    I don't know, the Chavez thing was bungled (if the CIA rumours are true about that - which is debatable).
                    Only feebs vote.

Comment

Working...
                    X