Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rugby World Cup 2003 - The Rugby Widows Weep!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I couldn't agree more with you about the ABs' effort. And what they have to do in the future. Whether any other team in the tourney can apply the same sustained, brutal, physical pressure the Boks can is an entirely different matter, IMHO.

Tana Umaga is now expected back in time for the finals matches. Given that he will have had very little physical work, is this not a very big ask?
    " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
    "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

You are right. We should go home. I mean how could we ever hope to beat the ABs now eh? After all it's not like the Boks threw everything they had at us and still lost handsomely now is it?

Of course we possibly won't need to - if they play like that against the ABs we will see what your front five is like under such pressure and if Carlos can play at all off the back foot. England could still meet the Boks again in the final you know.
      It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

Originally posted by Havak
        You are right. We should go home. I mean how could we ever hope to beat the ABs now eh? After all it's not like the Boks threw everything they had at us and still lost handsomely now is it?
        I've just wiped off my screen. It was dripping with your sarcasm.

I think the scoreline of the England SA game didn’t reflect how close that game really was. SA were very unlucky not to be awarded a penalty try when their maul was illegally brought down just before the line, and SA missed too many penalties (once again England demonstrate the value of Wilko’s kicking).

Of course we possibly won't need to - if they play like that against the ABs we will see what your front five is like under such pressure and if Carlos can play at all off the back foot. England could still meet the Boks again in the final you know.
        The last time the SA forwards played with that intensity it was against us in the Tri-Nations, and we still dominated. Sure it slowed us down, but at least we were able to score some decent tries.

Whether our pack can play that intensely against yours is the question.

Comment

Originally posted by finbar
          Tana Umaga is now expected back in time for the finals matches. Given that he will have had very little physical work, is this not a very big ask?
          It will be a massive ask. I’m not sure it will be a wise thing to do myself. Mitch has put Leon in at Center, presumably so that he has him as an option should Tana not perform, or if he decides it’s just too risky to play Tana in the final in the first place. We would also have sufficient cover not only for Mils at fullback, but also for the other centres - Carter & Mauger, in case either of them get injured. If they do, Leon just slots in at 13. Also, Mitch has Leon kicking against Tonga because Carlos obviously can't - injured or otherwise - and also if there is an injury to Carter.

Now, should Tana make it back in time for the semi, and look good, then we have a problem…

I thought Leon gave a pretty good account of himself in the past two games. He was aggressive, hit the line at pace, and showed some fancy footwork. I expect no different from him on Friday, and I’m sure it will be a real physical game, which he likes.

Comment

Originally posted by Andydog
            It was also apparent that England has not improved its back play to a level where they could match the All Blacks for attacking confidence and ability, particularly out wide.
            If the AB players share your state of mind I think you are all on for a cruel disillusion.

Originally posted by the son of the 60s
            Edit Piaf!
            Unfortunately, the French music is far from being my favorite genre, I would even say that to a few exceptions (like Bobby Lapointe or Maurice Chevalier) the French singers (and especially the current ones) irritate my ears. As far as my parents are concerned, they have never listened at any music consistently, music has never been one of their hobbies, even a minor one.
            Last edited by Tamerlin; October 21, 2003, 12:07.
            "Democracy is the worst form of government there is, except for all the others that have been tried." Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

I don't think there can be too much dispute in the fact England have a superior tight five than the All-Blacks who in turn have a far more elusive backline. Its going to come down to the side that can get their loose forwards over the ball quicker and I think that'll be the All-Blacks, I may even select Richie McCaw in the Springbok side

Mike Tindall was quoted on the ITV website today stating the English loosies were to slow to the ball and allowed the boks to get over the ball and slow it down legally (forcing england to concede penalties).

With the speed of the AB back line and their ability to break lines you can be pretty sure their loosies will always be going forward and over that ball first ensuring quick ball.

Comment

Originally posted by Havak
                ...nor is he as good as Galthie when the petit maestro is on song.
                True, the problem is Fabien Galthié is somehow the central piece on which the French game is based, like Wilkinson can be for England, the only problem is that Galthié's performances are less regular than Wilkinson's ones.

MickeyJ, though England performance against the Boks was not as bad as the SH newspapers would like it to be it was not a very good one neither. Judging the English forwards and their speed on this game would be a mistake I hope the SH nations will make, especially the AB.

Judging the French team on one of its performances since the World Cup started is a mistake any team can afford to make as no one can be sure about what they will be able to do during a game.
                "Democracy is the worst form of government there is, except for all the others that have been tried." Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Ummmmmm.........

Don't think the English performance was that bad.
                  Agree that if SA had a bit more in attack they can dominate the NZ forwards and then win.
                  Don't think they will.
                  Have no clue which French team will turn up at a ruck, let alone a game.
                  Think that Aus-v-Ire will be a hard game but that the greater Aus pace will win it, unless it rains, or we can disrupt them at set pieces.
                  I would still have a Eng/NZ win as the most likely.
                  I still think that we will have a GREAT chance of beating France in the QF and have been praying, hourly,that Wilkinson gets mangled and lets us see Grayson.
                  Please God.
                  A semi against England with Wilkinson injured and all the pressure on them.
                  THAT would be sexier than a bathfull of Asia Argento.

Comment

Originally posted by Andydog
                    It will be a massive ask. I’m not sure it will be a wise thing to do myself.
                    Of course it might all be a sandbag. They've lost nothing by keeping Umaga here and not replacing him because they have ample replacements within the squad, all of them presumably better than anyone waiting back in NZ. Sending him home would be a psychological blow to the outfit. Think about it - he might have been doing upper body gym work, but his injury would have prevented running or any leg work at all. By the QFs, if he's back in full training in the week before, he will have lost 3 weeks of serious conditioning. Besides, they can't squeeze Umaga, Carter and Mauger into the same team, and Carter is now, obviously, the designated goal kicker. I sense a sandbag.
                    " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
                    "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tamerlin
                      Unfortunately, the French music is far from being my favorite genre, I would even say that to a few exceptions (like Bobby Lapointe or Maurice Chevalier) the French singers (and especially the current ones) irritate my ears. As far as my parents are concerned, they have never listened at any music consistently, music has never been one of their hobbies, even a minor one.
                      Listen to some Edith Piaf.

Comment

• Originally posted by finbar

Listen to some Edith Piaf.
                        I can't stand it... Milord.

Comment

• I never have.
                          Is it any good?
                          Please show me where or recommend an album and I'll give it a spin.
                          I usually like motown or american indie, but have some weird likes and dislikes.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tamerlin

I can't stand it... Milord.
                            Un fléau des boutons de fièvre on you!

Should fièvre be plural in this case? To agree with boutons? I like to be relatively accurate with my bile!

Comment

• Originally posted by flipside
                              I never have.
                              Is it any good?
                              Please show me where or recommend an album and I'll give it a spin.
                              I usually like motown or american indie, but have some weird likes and dislikes.
                              Edith Piaf was a glorious French singer of the late 1940s and 1950s with a stunning, haunting voice. She died relatively young in 1963. That Tamerlin can't stand her, certifies her as as one of the greats!

Everyone should listen to her at least once in their life. Scroll down this page and you'll find a list of samples. Including "Milord", which Tamerlin so rudely bagged!

Comment

• Originally posted by finbar
                                Should fièvre be plural in this case?
                                Figure it out by yourself!

Comment

Working...
                                X