Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rugby World Cup 2003 - The Rugby Widows Weep!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Tamerlin

I don't agree though I must admit he is far less efficient with the French team than he is with the Stade Toulousain
    I'm quite sure his efficiency has decreased as his blonde tips have increased!

I suppose your commentators spoke about an event that occured at the end of the Sporting Union Agenais - Stade Toulousain French Championship game last year. The events are simple but the resaons are rather intricated. At the end of the game when the players were coming out of the changing room, Mister Bru and Mister Labrousse (player of the SUA) had a little talk, it degenerated into an argument and...

PAF!

Simple isn't it?

But to understand the problem you must go back a few years ago when a bunch of players from the Castres Olympique went away from this club. Many players from Castres joined the ASBH (Association Sportive Béziers-Hérault) and Mister Escalle was among them. Why? Because the players of the Castres Olympique were quarelling among them. Why? Because mister Labrousse (who was then playing at the Castres Olympique) stole Mister Escalle's girlfriend. Mister Labrousse quitted the CO for the Sporting Union Agenais. At this time, Mister Bru was playing at Colomiers and was not yet linked to this story. The year following the departures from the Castres Olympique, Mister Labrousse's girlfriend decided that Mister Bru was far more seductive and good natured than Mister Labrousse and Mister Bru was so happy with his new girlfriend that he was even stupid enough to marry her. Last year, when the players were exiting the Stadium after the game, Mister Labrousse tried to explain to Mister Bru that his wife was a wh*** and...

PAF!

Only in France!

Although we had a similar sort of thing happen here within an Australian Rules football club late last year. I think I mentioned it at one point. The star player (and captain) of a club quit the club after it was discovered he was doofing his best friend's (and vice captain's) wife. The star player joined another club. The first time he played against his old club - and his ex-best mate - there was much, um, tension on the field. It was great theatre.
    " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
    "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• Originally posted by ravagon
      If you don't mind I'd like to have this framed before I send it to someone in the vicinity of Leicester.
      Mind you if I remind you that Wales don't have a top notch pack...
      "Democracy is the worst form of government there is, except for all the others that have been tried." Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

• Originally posted by finbar
        Although we had a similar sort of thing happen here within an Australian Rules football club late last year. I think I mentioned it at one point. The star player (and captain) of a club quit the club after it was discovered he was doofing his best friend's (and vice captain's) wife. The star player joined another club. The first time he played against his old club - and his ex-best mate - there was much, um, tension on the field. It was great theatre.
        I remember the story.

Moral: "les filles, c'est que des emmerdes !".
        "Democracy is the worst form of government there is, except for all the others that have been tried." Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

• I have just seen the Australia - Ireland game and the Aussies can be happy to have won this game. Though it does not qualify as a theft, it is not far from it. With a "real" referee and the bit of luck they have lacked the Irish would have won.

Whatever the case they should have won because of their supporters and their beautiful songs.

Larkham and Gregan are nowhere the halves they used to be and the Australian game is thus lacking imagination.

Comment

I have just seen the Australia - Ireland game and the Aussies can be happy to have won this game. Though it does not qualify as a theft, it is not far from it. With a "real" referee and the bit of luck they have lacked the Irish would have won.
            They had their opportunities regardless of the ref and bad luck. Apart from the first ten minutes, we didn't play well enough to deserve to win.

Larkham and Gregan are nowhere the halves they used to be and the Australian game is thus lacking imagination.
            Yes, and that's the problem that actually has a solution. Chris Whitaker and Matt Giteau are the alternatives, but Eddie Jones is far too conservative - and loyal to his old hands - to give them a chance. They might not win the tournament for us - in fact, they won't, because of our problems in the forwards and the lineout - but at least they, along with Mortlock in place of Burke, and Tuquiri in place of Sailor, would offer some spark and imagination.
            " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
            "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

Moral: "les filles, c'est que des emmerdes !".

*counting the days to the arrival of his Petit Ophrys*

Edit. Hey Tamerlin. According to this article, your favourite scrummy, Mr Yachvili, is a very talented player. Wade through the familty history and you'll find the claim somewhere towards the end. Obviously you're totally wrong, and Peter Fitzsimons, a renowned idiot, is one hundred percent right! You might care to put an alternative view.
              Last edited by finbar; November 3, 2003, 19:28.

Comment

Whatever the case they should have won because of their supporters and their beautiful songs.
                Speaking of supporters and songs, friends of mine went to the All Blacks -v- Wales match the other night. They told me this morning that the atmosphere was marvellous. The All Blacks' and Welsh supporters were applauding the opposition's efforts all night. Right to the end. Only at a rugby game, as I said to my friends.

Comment

Yes, and that's the problem that actually has a solution. Chris Whitaker and Matt Giteau are the alternatives, but Eddie Jones is far too conservative - and loyal to his old hands - to give them a chance. They might not win the tournament for us - in fact, they won't, because of our problems in the forwards and the lineout - but at least they, along with Mortlock in place of Burke, and Tuquiri in place of Sailor, would offer some spark and imagination.
                  IMO only two players stood out of the crowd saturday, Smith (to whom the Australian team owes much) and Rogers.

Comment

IMO only two players stood out of the crowd saturday, Smith (to whom the Australian team owes much) and Rogers.
                    Yes, George Smith is a very brave, committed and skilled player. He even ended up taking a throw in the lineout. I don't think it was one of Matt Rogers' best games - he looked shaky in defence a couple of times - but he's very talented. He and Lote Tuquiri will prove to be the best of the players who came across from L*****. Rogers, of course, played rugby at school, representing Australia at schoolboy level.

Comment

*counting the days to the arrival of his Petit Ophrys*

Though I can understand Dimitri's parents blindness when you consider the performance of their tadpole, I don't understand Peter's Fitzsimons one.

In France, at least in the educated areas where Rugby is played, just say Yachvili and you will see everybody's eyes looking towards the sky with a worried gaze silently saying: "Why?".

Comment

:biggest angry smilie in the history of the universe!:

Though I can understand Dimitri's parents blindness when you consider the performance of their tadpole, I don't understand Peter's Fitzsimons one.
                        To be perfectly honest, given the context of the article, I suspect Fitzsimons couldn't say much else. Given the long, involved, emotional history that he details, how could he call Dimitri a total failure? It might be the truth, but it wouldn't suit the tenor of the article.

In France, at least in the educated areas where Rugby is played, just say Yachvili and you will see everybody's eyes looking towards the sky with a worried gaze silently saying: "Why?".
                        I watched the France -v- USA game. I thought he played quite well, but his skills didn't match his ambitions.

Comment

• Thanks for posting the Tigers scores every week Finbar – and you think Australia have problems?

Who is “the nose” by the way?

And England - Wales, needless to say. Havak will be having nightmares featuring red dragons this week.
                          We need to be very careful – and suck them into a forward battle where we will overcome them.

If you recall, I've been venting my spleen on these things for twelve months or more.
                          I wasn’t stealing your thunder – you pointed them out first. I just thought it became very noticeable in this game as you finally came up against a side capable of exploiting both points?

I can only think it's because Wendell can sometimes make those shattering busts. But that's not enough.
                          It will be against your next opponents – but as for the semi you are quite right.

And he might as well give them a try now, because the current team isn't up to winning the tournament.
                          I can’t see it – it partially requires him to admit to an error in his approach so far – not the mans style at all?

By the way the Uruguayan tight head props try was very well taken don’t you think – so much for our much vaunted defence? Still the totally yellow clad young man (altogether now “free hat, free scarf”) the producer panned to after the try was happy (though why the Producer showed an Aussies reaction one can only guess).

The All Blacks' and Welsh supporters were applauding the opposition's efforts all night. Right to the end. Only at a rugby game, as I said to my friends.
                          Yes indeed – shock that it is this even holds true for England fans.

I did smile to hear Fields of Athenry on Saturday and Sweet Chariots and Bread of Heaven on Sunday – all the Wattle shirts in the crowd (and there have been in every game) must have wondered what was happening?
                          It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• Originally posted by Havak
                            Thanks for posting the Tigers scores every week Finbar – and you think Australia have problems?
                            If I'm going to be miserable, I'm not going to be the only one! Wasps this week? Mmmmm. No wonder you championed Rotheram's promotion.

Who is “the nose” by the way?
                            That chap in a white jumper with number 8 on the back and purveyor of professional fouls who used to be quite a good player.

I wasn’t stealing your thunder – you pointed them out first. I just thought it became very noticeable in this game as you finally came up against a side capable of exploiting both points?
                            It's been noticeable for 18 months! Ireland did it to us last November! The Boks and All Blacks did it to us in the first legs of the Tri Nations!

It will be against your next opponents – but as for the semi you are quite right.
                            That's my big fear. A good effort against Scotland will delude some people into thinking the problems are solved. Let me clarify that. There's simply no solving the problem of the front row. We don't have anyone other than the incumbents - or their immediate replacements, who are not much better. There's nothing Eddie can do about it.

The only way of starting to solve the lineout problem is to create another target option. Even if it means starting Cockbain - who's quite a good jumper - on a flank and breaking up Smith and Waugh starting together. So that problem can be addressed. I'm just not sure what the solution is.

The problem that must be addressed, as I've banged on about endlessly, is the moribund midfield. It's set up entirely defensively, as though Eddie has privately conceded that we're going to lose in the forwards and lineouts, therefore it's damage minimisation elsewhere. Okay, but what happens when we do get the ball? Nothing! (See below)

I can’t see it – it partially requires him to admit to an error in his approach so far – not the mans style at all?
                            Clearly not, unfortunately. It looks like Mortlock is going to replace Burke at outside centre - Burke is said to have a dodgy knee and Mortlock fronted the media yesterday - so that's a start. Now we need Whitaker, Tuquiri and Giteau in place of Gregan, Sailor and Larkham. Tuquiri is a possibility, Giteau less so, and Whitaker, I'd've thought, a total impossibility.

By the way the Uruguayan tight head props try was very well taken don’t you think –
                            He did well. Your defence in that case was just about on a par with the All Black defence. Particularly that which let Charvis pop over the top and plant the ball.

(though why the Producer showed an Aussies reaction one can only guess).
                            It was for posterity. A happy Australian reaction these days is a rare thing.

Comment

• Hey Tamerlin. There's a French lady sailing her surf ski across the Pacific trying to set another record for solo something-or-othering. Why aren't you with her lending moral - or otherwise - support?

Comment

• Wasps this week? Mmmmm. No wonder you championed Rotheram's promotion.
                                Rotherham away the week after as well – their first win of the season no doubt. Serious problems at the club – good young lads in the forwards but far too ‘Green’ still. Clueless backs NONE of whom are missing on world cup duty (excepting Mr Murphy and his broken leg thanks to Ireland - boy do we miss him). I think Deano, great success that he has had, is in trouble.

Yes we have eight players at RWC (one Eagle on his way back) but Bath and Wasps have five each and are weathering it far better – the malaise runs deeper than RWC duty.

And I am so embarrassed I missed the Dallaglio reference.

Joe Worsley by the way has been severely reprimanded for acknowledging the crowd after his yellow card – I understand this did not stop an Aussie TV pundit (no name given to me) from suggesting he be executed and England stipped of the win?

In addition Steve Smith (ITV summariser for Uruguay) says he caught an Aussie TV trail for the Uruguay game saying “who is the best XVI man team in the world?”. Just love that Aussie sense of humour – if only they could turn it on themselves more often?

Now we need Whitaker, Tuquiri and Giteau in place of Gregan, Sailor and Larkham. Tuquiri is a possibility, Giteau less so, and Whitaker, I'd've thought, a total impossibility.
                                The BBC report Eddie as saying now is not the time to experiment and that he will continue to play his best XV – this was specifically in response to being asked about Larkham and Gregan.

Particularly that which let Charvis pop over the top and plant the ball.
                                At which point Marshall looks at the ref as if to say “surely that is not legal sir?”. It was even funnier when in the dying minutes Watson pinged Howlett for being ahead of the kick – given England has drawn Kiwi criticism for this and yet Howlett is regularly guilty of it. And as for the game breaking try…

It was nice to see that they, like England, are fallable at times. I expect Mitchell will rocket them now and sort it out though?

It was for posterity. A happy Australian reaction these days is a rare thing.
                                Now that is the sense of humour I want your TV guys to buy into!
                                It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

Working...
                                X