Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rugby World Cup 2003 - The Rugby Widows Weep!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Havak
    The English are always arrogant. Go back in history, look at the English Army. Who goes to war wearing red coats? To suggest nothing should be done is a joke.
    Don't worry Havak, this man is jealous because Australia has not known this era when beautiful uniforms were as important (if not more) as the quality of the troops, that's all. At the time all the armies in the world wore flashy uniforms, Australia was either not yet colonized or either... under British rule.

Yes but we both know the truth don’t we?
    Havak, we should not talk with people who prefer individual feats over beautifull collective movements.

By the way, the French players scored a wonderfull try last saturday in the second half, it's a pity that the "individual feat" obsessed SH lads are unable to appreciate this kind of tries.
    "Democracy is the worst form of government there is, except for all the others that have been tried." Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Okay the results are in. 100% of English respondents to my survey say Kefu should be shot at dawn by men in red coats.
      That is the proper colonial answer to seditious acts.

"Democracy is the worst form of government there is, except for all the others that have been tried." Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

• I nearly raised the point about armies that wore French and Prussian blues and even nice cream white jackets to war Tamerlin. The Dutch even used to take the field in bright white jackets with orange sashes. But I felt in the end that doing so dignified Kefu's stupidity far too much.

Of course redcoats did police the orginal *ahem* settlements in Australia - so it is a touchy subject to descendents of the orignal 'settlers' - but Kefu doesn't even fall into this category as his family hails from Tonga I believe.

It was a silly rant from him - and elsewhere in the world might bring him into trouble. In Australia? He may sadly end up a national hero.

Remember this rule - Aussies may say what they like about whoever they like without consequence - but criticise them back and they will want blood from you.

I can't imagine Finbar was serious about individual brilliance - there's so little in that side now that against us it came only from Rogers and Sailor (the League boys).

it's a pity that the "individual feat" obsessed SH lads are unable to appreciate this kind of tries.
        France were very impressive last weekend - they will receive occassional praise from the SH until they play a SANZAR side at which point they will be made into demons. England simply start out as demons and get painted worse as things progress. Look at it this way Tamerlin - the Aussies are clearly scared of us - they always go ballistic in the media about trivial crap when they are afraid of a side. Peronsally I think France can beat any side in the tournament on current form.

No more respect from me for Australian rugby until Kefu is disciplined for his outburst - even if he was stupid enough to let a journo lead him by the nose as I suspect was the case.
        It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

I can't imagine Finbar was serious about individual brilliance...
          I know, I know... but I am serious.

France were very impressive last weekend...
          At least in the second half.

... - they will receive occassional praise from the SH until they play a SANZAR side at which point they will be made into demons.
          I am waiting for this moment with great anticipation.

Peronsally I think...
          Even the petit ophrys can't help me with peronsally...

...France can beat any side in the tournament on current form.
          The problem lies in the end of your sentence: "current form".

Comment

• I know, I know... but I am serious.
            I never doubted it.

France held Scotland in the first half and never looked threatened – it was a good performance all round. A strong second half like that gives you every chance against the bigger sides too.

I am waiting for this moment with great anticipation.
            Of course if the draw goes to plan, and the Kefu lynch mob don’t steal pool points from us for an on-the-field penalty offence you can only meet Australia or NZ after you have overcome us – so forgive me for saying I hope you don’t meet them!

It’s the Arrogant Englishman in me again – believing I don’t need a spell checker.

The problem lies in the end of your sentence: "current form".
            It’s a clever caveat. Look at NZ and Australia – this weekend is the first time they face second division opposition let alone first. I’ll be answering Ireland’s call myself – though I simply cannot get behind Land of My Fathers I’m afraid – I’ll probably be mildly rooting for NZ there.

I think the Boks have made a wise decision at fly half dropping Koen – the young lad looks better equipped to marshal the back line against a fired up Samoa. This game will be fascinating…
            It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

Okay Finbar – everything you wrote about the Luger incident was sensible. But let me point you to part of the media you may have missed and give you the words of wisdom of an ‘Aussie’ player, Toutai Kefu.

Said to the Sydney Daily Telegraph apparently. This really isn’t helpful Finbar – and its overtly racist as well. Had it been written by Austin about Aussies your nation would want blood. Well I want blood here – we Poms are totally ****** off with your coaches and players opening their mouths at will and spouting racist ****. Lets hope for once the ARU has the courage to distance itself from this crap?

Should the IRB decide to deduct points we’ll have to live with it – but no Aussie player is going to dictate it.
              The IRB taking advice from Toutai!

There you go. It was Murdoch's "Telegraph", the paper I don't bother to read. A bit better than your "Sun", but not a lot. But exactly why you're taking any notice of Toutai Kefu, I'm not sure. Not many others do, and the IRB certainly won't. Nice chap, good rugby player, but, rugby aside, his total preoccupation is horse racing. Very dry sense of humour, though. It sounds to me like he was taking the p*ss. Regardless, I'm not sure whether he's still under contract to the ARU, so I don't know whether they have any control over what he says or does anymore. He's off to Japan to finish his playing days there. But if he is still bound, the ARU should tell him to shut up.

Out of interest, if it is found that one of the coaching staff told Luger to ignore the sideline official and take the field, what do you think the penalty should be?

Who invented the game? The only heritage that counts is right there surely!
              Cricket rather disproves that theory, I'd've thought.

You may beat Ireland, you may thrash them - but no Ireland team will ever 'surrender' to you.
              Well, they pretty much did in their Test here earlier in the year.
              " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
              "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tamerlin

A very interesting article about the battle of Stalingrad deterred me from my duty before I fell asleep.
                Woof!

Oh, and the vet agreed to hold your appointment over till you're available.
                " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
                "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

Mmmmmmmmmmm. Cheeky.

But just wait for your next slip up!

Comment

• And now I think I'll retire to bed and FoxSports for another evening of England gloriously snatching defeat from the jaws of victory, leaving the ether to our thread's answer to Bill and Ben, the Flower Pot Men, or even, if they try very very hard, Itchy and Scratchy.

Comment

• All Aussies like baiting Poms, just so that when anyone objects they can call us whinging. If we don't object I oresume we are gutless.
                      Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
                      Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Comment

• It's been great hearing them whinge in the run up and during this world cup too.
                        Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                        Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                        We've got both kinds

Comment

France held Scotland in the first half and never looked threatened – it was a good performance all round. A strong second half like that gives you every chance against the bigger sides too.
                          Though I agree the French players never looked threatened the problem of the French team lies in its "fades", when this team plays like it has in the first 30' of the second half I know that few teams (including the AB "scarecrow", kind of a giant with clay feet IMO ) can resist. The problem is the number of points the other team scores during the french "fades".

Of course if the draw goes to plan, and the Kefu lynch mob don’t steal pool points from us for an on-the-field penalty offence you can only meet Australia or NZ after you have overcome us – so forgive me for saying I hope you don’t meet them!
                          As far as I am concerned there is nothing to compute, if you want to be World Champion you must be able to win against every team be it NZ, Australia, South Africa, England or Ireland.

It’s the Arrogant Englishman in me again – believing I don’t need a spell checker.
                          You are giving Finbar the stick to beat you with.

It’s a clever caveat. Look at NZ and Australia – this weekend is the first time they face second division opposition let alone first. I’ll be answering Ireland’s call myself – though I simply cannot get behind Land of My Fathers I’m afraid – I’ll probably be mildly rooting for NZ there.
                          There is no way I can support a SH team when a NH team is involved.

I think the Boks have made a wise decision at fly half dropping Koen – the young lad looks better equipped to marshal the back line against a fired up Samoa. This game will be fascinating…
                          Half good decision as far as I am concerned, getting rid off Koen without getting rid off Van Der Westhuyzen (random spelling mode for the Half-scrum) in the same time is only solving half of the problem.

Comment

Like shooting ducks in a barrel.

Tamerlin, I just popped back to let you know that I've now acquired my own copy of Le Petit Ophrys. So it will be duelling Petits Ophrys at ten paces!

Comment

• Originally posted by finbar
                              Like shooting ducks in a barrel.
                              Hmmmm, not exactly... I don't have the time to find the French colloquialism (as I am going out to play Tennis) but I will think about it.

Tamerlin, I just popped back to let you know that I've now acquired my own copy of Le Petit Ophrys...

Do you mean "le petit ophrys" translating french to english?

. So it will be duelling Petits Ophrys at ten paces!

Fichtre ! Je risque de me faire étriller par un scribouillard !

Comment

• But exactly why you're taking any notice of Toutai Kefu, I'm not sure. Not many others do, and the IRB certainly won't
                                I only took notice because it’s totally out of order by him – and very reminiscent of a certain English player from two years ago. The difference in the way he is dealt with will be very interesting to me. And if he isn’t under contract to the Union lets have the IRB discipline him – perhaps even stop his pension move to Japan – for bringing the game into disrepute.

The IRB have appointed an Irish judicial officer - one Brian McLaughlin. I know little about him.

Out of interest, if it is found that one of the coaching staff told Luger to ignore the sideline official and take the field, what do you think the penalty should be?
                                Luger rapped over the knuckles for being stupid – the guilty member of coaching staff sent home on the next flight. The team fined. Anything more is OTT.

It was the fitness coach Dave Reddin apparently – who doubles as the replacement official for us. It’s hard to see what happened but apparently after the game there was huge argument between him, the fourth official (Kiwi Steve Walsh) and the IRB touchline monitor for the game (Brett Bowden).

Cricket rather disproves that theory, I'd've thought.
                                How so? Good Sportsmenship was surely stripped from the game by Aussies in both cases?
                                Well, they pretty much did in their Test here earlier in the year.
                                They played very poorly – but I’m not sure I’d call it surrender as such. And Ireland with Keith Wood is a different prospect – they miss him like we miss Jonno.
                                And now I think I'll retire to bed and FoxSports for another evening of England gloriously snatching defeat from the jaws of victory
                                Foxsports have an “ancient sporting history” channel?
                                June 2000 Finbar – and lucky at that
                                The problem is the number of points the other team scores during the french "fades".
                                It wouldn’t be France if the team didn’t pause for ten minutes in a half to have a cigarette and a glass of wine.

if you want to be World Champion you must be able to win against every team be it NZ, Australia, South Africa, England or Ireland.
                                Hmm.. check, check, check and check – yep beaten all them last time out.

I do over use Sarcasm at times. I think I was trying to highlight the irony of an Aussie sportsman calling the English arrogant too. Dear Pot – telegram for you from Kettle.

There is no way I can support a SH team when a NH team is involved.
                                But it is Wales Tamerlin. You can’t make me support Wales?

Is it me – or does Finbar keep signing off for the day only to sally back with something he forgot?

Comment

Working...
                                X