Wage Disparities between men and women do not exist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wage Disparities between men and women do not exist

well that's not entirely true. They do exist to a certain extent. But as it turns out according to a wall street journal study is that women do not negotiate their salaries with their employer when they are hired. Women seemed to be turned off by haggling and negotiating their wages. Perhaps this explains why women do not like negotiating for the price of buying a new car- hence why Saturn dealerships are popular by offering a standard non-negotiable price for their vehicles.

So why is it women are afraid to negotiate their wages? Obviously this applies to professional jobs. As many non skill or low skill jobs offer income based on the hour, and those are non-negotiable and equal for women and men. So it is not true women make less money than men in those fields.

Cool -- they lump the individual-based behavior on whether or not a person negotiates onto a whole gendered group.
    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

just going by the statistics here.

People say you shouldn't stereotype. But you can't ignore the statistics.

Comment

Well that is surely one factor, but I would hardly call it the only factor. Women tend to have lower wages in jobs with "fixed" wages, too.

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun
          Cool -- they lump the individual-based behavior on whether or not a person negotiates onto a whole gendered group.
          if uget past the inanity of crying PC at everything. statistics can be effective(if not volatile) way to gain useful information.

Comment

Originally posted by Hurricane
            Well that is surely one factor, but I would hardly call it the only factor. Women tend to have lower wages in jobs with "fixed" wages, too.
            how can they have lower wage jobs if the wages are fixed?

It's just impossible. I have not seen it where I live. The women I work with make the same as me. Actually most of them make more than me. But I kind of got screwed when my company got bought out by another. They didn't raise my wages to what the other employess were making. They just figured if I didn't like it I could quit.

Comment

in physics women actually get paid better than women (on average)

it is just that there are a lot fewer women (and I mean a lot)

Jon Miller
              Jon Miller-
              I AM.CANADIAN
              GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller
                in physics women actually get paid better than women (on average)
                i don't know about your physics, but your math is seriously @#$'d up.
                Visit First Cultural Industries
                There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
                Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

are you sure?

Jon Miller
                  Jon Miller-
                  I AM.CANADIAN
                  GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

I beleive there was an article in physics today or some other suc place

JOn Miller
                    Jon Miller-
                    I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

Yes. How can women get paid more than women?
                      Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                      Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                      We've got both kinds

Comment

I meant, obviously, women get paid more than men

(not so obviously, I think it was median, not average)

Jon Miller
                        Jon Miller-
                        I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

Originally posted by Dissident
                          how can they have lower wage jobs if the wages are fixed?
                          You didn't notice the quotation marks I had put around fixed?

What I meant was that women often get a lower-paid job title, but exactly the same duties, as a higher-paid male (say for example that the man is a "purchaser", but the woman is "assistant purchaser", even though they do the same job in practise).

Comment

Originally posted by MikeH
                            Yes. How can women get paid more than women?
                            Well, there are women....and ....women
                            Blah

Comment

that's funny. all the women i know like to haggle when they're buying stuff.
                              B♭3

Comment

Working...
                              X