Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where's a good place to find used or older computer parts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where's a good place to find used or older computer parts?

I want to build a computer for my mother. He computer is very, very obsolete. I was over her house trying to download adobe acrobat and I gave up. The computer is just too slow.

But she has no real need for anything fast. If I got to electronics places like Fry's I doubt I will find any cheap older processors.

What I'm looking to get is a motherboard (with onboard sound), processor chip, and RAM memory. That's pretty much everything I need.

Or would it be cheaper just to find a used computer somewhere. Who sells used computers? Pawn shops? Anyone see how much computers run in pawn shops?

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Ebay
      The ways of Man are passing strange, he buys his freedom and he counts his change.
      Then he lets the wind his days arrange and he calls the tide his master.

Comment

EBay, nothing is guaranteed.
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Try newegg.com With a little bit of shopping, they should have everything that you need.

Comment

eBay. Newegg is good, but I've never seen them sell old or refurbished equipment. Then again, I haven't looked.
            Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Look for some independantly owned computer shops (particularily ones that will buy old computers). All the ones I've been to have everything from 286s to the very latest.
              Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Salvation Army or Goodwill.

ACK!
                Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Just get a low-range new one, they should be cheap enough anyway.
                  I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

I may just upgrade my computer and give my mom my computer stuff.

That was what I was originally going to do, but I wanted to wait to upgrade my computer. I just wanted to get more mileage from my ole P3 700 processor. And upgrade just before Everquest 2 comes out.

But I think I will just go ahead and upgrade my computer and recycle my old parts into her. I already have an old 6.6 Gig hard drive sitting around, and a Voodoo3 card collecting dust.

Comment

I was looking at an Intel Celeron 2.4 GHz for myself. It has 400 MHz FSB.

That seems like a pretty fast processor at a decent price (less than $100 at PC club website- though I'm also shopping around)

Comment

I'm not expert on celerons but I believe they are pieces of crap. You might wan't to get a second opinion thought.

Comment

give me your address and i can arrange for a truck to stop by with some merchandise. be prepared to pay cash and forget where you got it
                          Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

Comment

What's wrong with Celerons?

Comment

They're crap

Just as the GeForce mx's are.
                              Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                              Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Working...
                              X