Syria Mobilized 300,000 Reservists?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Syria Mobilized 300,000 Reservists?

News analysis: Israeli air raid inside Syria has changed unspoken agreement for last three decades that Israeli-Syrian border would stay quiet no matter how much violence rages around it; since 1973, Israel and Syria have squared off in Lebanon, or deployed various proxy forces; Israeli attack on what they say is Palestinian terrorist training camp changes that formula, perhaps forever; following Palestinian suicide bombing in Haifa that killed 20 people, diplomats and Arab analysts predict that Sharon administration now plans to treat Damascus much as it has treated Yasir Arafat during past three years; he has been accused of orchestrating suicide missions against Israel, attacked militarily, cut off and ultimately isolated; burning debate in Damascus is what government will do if Israel attacks again (M)

The talk of one Damascus barbershop this week was that some reservists had been called up; a political analyst, Haitham Kilani, a retired diplomat and air force general, put the number summoned so far at 300,000 of 1.5 million reservists. There has been no official announcement of a call-up adding to a standing army of more than 300,000.

That's huge. The entire IDF reserve pool is about 400k IIRC.

And why doesnt this get big headlines?
    "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Eli, so what? We have them surrounded, and they're low tech. The only downside to destroying them in battle is the cost of rebuilding their country and economy so that next go round they're high tech.
    Long time member @ Apolyton
    Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

How well trained are Syrian reservists?
      No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

News analysis: Israeli air raid inside Syria has changed unspoken agreement for last three decades that Israeli-Syrian border would stay quiet no matter how much violence rages around it; since 1973, Israel and Syria have squared off in Lebanon, or deployed various proxy forces; Israeli attack on what they say is Palestinian terrorist training camp changes that formula, perhaps forever; following Palestinian suicide bombing in Haifa that killed 20 people, diplomats and Arab analysts predict that Sharon administration now plans to treat Damascus much as it has treated Yasir Arafat during past three years; he has been accused of orchestrating suicide missions against Israel, attacked militarily, cut off and ultimately isolated; burning debate in Damascus is what government will do if Israel attacks again (M)

better link
        "I predict your ignore will rival Ben's" - Ecofarm
        ^ The Poly equivalent of:
        "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

Comment

Picture warrior vs modern armor and F-15s.
          Long time member @ Apolyton
          Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Picture Syria as a giant pane of glass.
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I thought Syria's total active and reserves was just under 1 million. Guess I was wrong.
              "I read a book twice as fast as anybody else. First, I read the beginning, and then I read the ending, and then I start in the middle and read toward whatever end I like best." - Gracie Allen

Comment

Originally posted by Lancer
                whew

they don't have spearmen yet

Comment

Originally posted by Lancer
                  Does the Civ bug still exist, allowing pikemen to shoot down F-15s?
                  "I read a book twice as fast as anybody else. First, I read the beginning, and then I read the ending, and then I start in the middle and read toward whatever end I like best." - Gracie Allen

Comment

It's not a bug....it's a feature
                    Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
                    Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

Does the Civ bug still exist, allowing pikemen to shoot down F-15s?

Nope, you can't do that until Knights now

Comment

a political analyst, Haitham Kilani, a retired diplomat and air force general, put the number summoned so far at 300,000 of 1.5 million reservists.
                        According to The Military Balance, Syria has 319,000 active servicemen, including about 215,000 in the army. It estimates Syria's reserves at 354,000.

Huh. I wonder which number, if any, is correct.

Comment

Dust off those branches and sequels for the Centcom force...

Comment

Gunfodder
                            So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
                            Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

What is the definition of reservists? Syria might have tiers of them.

Also, the matchup woul not be as lopsided as people think, if onyl becuase Israel is right next door, not an ocean away, and no, nukes are very unlikely to be used, and if they were , its not like Israle ended up pretty either (cause the only time the nukes would be used is if Israel was in mortal peril, or had suffered a large WMD attack).
                              If you don't like reality, change it! me
                              "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                              "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                              "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Working...
                              X