Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I was called a racist today because I said that Roots is untrue....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I was called a racist today because I said that Roots is untrue....

I was talking to several people today who were African American after an English class. We were talking about Roots, which I had read a few years ago and really enjoyed.

When I mentioned that I was pissed when I found out it was untrue, all hell broke loose.......

APPARENTLY Roots isnt fictional, even though its been proven to be untrue by dozens of credible sources-and im a racist for mentioning that it is.

Now I have 4 people who want my blood because I am accused of being a racist.... *sigh*.

The ironic part is, as some apolytonites may know, i'm half Ethiopian(though I look completley white)......

yeah, some white south africans unknowingly offend some people by claiming that they're african-american.
    B♭3

Comment

Roots?
      Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
      "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

Re: I was called a racist today because I said that Roots is untrue....

Originally posted by Vesayen

The ironic part is, as some apolytonites may know, i'm half Ethiopian(though I look completley white)......
        Youre half African but look white?

Comment

Originally posted by Immortal Wombat
          Roots?
          book, film, mini series, etc

Comment

focusing on the slave kunta kinte, written by alex haley. the movie adaptation was broadcast on public broadcasting, and starred levar burton in the role of kunta kinte.
            B♭3

Comment

I'm sorry man, but saying Roots isn't true is just stupid. It's like saying that Martin Luther King plagarized most of his speeches; while true, it's just a completely idiotic thing to say. Best to keep your mouth shut if you're a honky (or look like one).
              Last edited by Drake Tungsten; October 11, 2003, 21:56.
              KH FOR OWNER!
              ASHER FOR CEO!!
              GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Q Cubed
                yeah, some white south africans unknowingly offend some people by claiming that they're african-american.
                The fact a dog is born in a stable doesn't make it a horse
                Last edited by reds4ever; October 11, 2003, 21:54.

Comment

true, but often, the ones that do the offending are fobs.

meaning that they don't know the distinction here stateside.
                  B♭3

Comment

Originally posted by Q Cubed
                    true, but often, the ones that do the offending are fobs.

meaning that they don't know the distinction here stateside.
                    How about Dutch-Afro-American?

Comment

If you explain your reasoning some of them will come around. But undoubtedly some will also not be able to get past the label they've made for you.

I've been called 'racist' because I fired someone at work when he stood up and insulted me in front of the entire crew during a meeting. Even tried to make an EEOC case out of it. Incredible.
                      I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                      I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Re: Re: I was called a racist today because I said that Roots is untrue....

Originally posted by reds4ever

Youre half African but look white?
                        My maternal anscestors were ethiopian Jews, my paternal anscestors were Polish Jews-my grandparents met in New York city.

Comment

Your skin colour must be closer to Homer's then
                          I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

Nope, totaly caucasian, so is my brother.

Comment

The untrue part is...?
                              I'd rather have a German division in front of me than a French division behind me.--Patton

Comment

Working...
                              X