The Friendly Frenchies process US plutonium

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Friendly Frenchies process US plutonium

Awaiting the building of a plant, some of the 34 tons of plutonium to be processed in France to meet civil requirements.

Anonymous official said that the US are currently saving on wines only to buy that kind of services which clearly demand more trust.
    Statistical anomaly.
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

The US has been wanting to build such a facility for years but the worthless green's keep protesting it.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

You'd figure the greens would like to see weapons grade uranium broken down into reactor fuel but the greens just seem to have an irrational phobia.
      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

All the more irrational that in this case the plutonium, which is there anyway, will produce energy without emitting co2. And the US production of co2 is horrible !
        Statistical anomaly.
        The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Comment

I would not mind building more nuke plants, but not so close to populated areas.
          Donate to the American Red Cross.
          Computer Science or Engineering Student? Compete in the Microsoft Imagine Cup today!.

Comment

Does not Europe use a lot of nuclear power?
            Donate to the American Red Cross.
            Computer Science or Engineering Student? Compete in the Microsoft Imagine Cup today!.

Comment

so the US is handing WoMDs to the French! the horror!

This asks for a pre-emtive strike against France in a few years, when France threathens to invade Luxembourgh.
              Quod Me Nutrit Me Destruit

Comment

Originally posted by Jack_www
                Does not Europe use a lot of nuclear power?
                Not much more than the US, but it accounts for a higher proportion of our (much lower) energy production.

Energy Produced from Nuclear Power in 2000, million tonnes of oil equivalent:

United States: 208mtoe (12% of total)
                European Union: 229mtoe (30% of total)

Source: OECD in figures 2002, pp 43
                19th Century Liberal, 21st Century European

Comment

If I'm not remember wrong, they process a lot of Swedish plutonium too. We produce nuclear waste in our 11 reactors, but there is a law that nuclear power will be gradually shut down, so new nuclear technology is illegal to be researched or implemented. In France, they have developed new reactor types that can use our waste as fuel.

(I'm writing this out of my memory. But despite being a scientist, this is not my area of expertise. Correct me if I'm wrong here)
                  So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
                  Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

United States: 208mtoe (12% of total)
                    European Union: 229mtoe (30% of total)
                    More ammo next time someone wants to argue about the Kyoto Pact... Thanks!
                    Monkey!!!

Comment

More ammo next time someone wants to argue about the Kyoto Pact... Thanks!
                      why? Kyoto is about CO2, nothing to do with nuclear power.
                      Quod Me Nutrit Me Destruit

Comment

More power generated by nuclear reaction = less power generated by petrolium/oil reactions = less CO2

Adooption of the Kyoto treaty is more readily accepted by those who produce the least amount of CO2... Yet, as it appears, their waste is created in another form.
                        Monkey!!!

Comment

Your high use of oil for power production is a good reason to sign Kyoto and invest in cleaner power sources, Japher. Not a reason to refuse it as you suggest.
                          So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
                          Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

Not a reason to refuse it as you suggest.
                            It's every reason it refuse it. The cost impliments of bringing in new power sources alone are reasons enough. Not to mention that the power would be nuclear and cause even greater, untreatable types of pollution that would cost more to maintain and dispose of!

Yeah, I know that enviro-friendly people could care less about by price, but that's what makes the world go round, and if give the option of nuclear waste vs. sludge I wonder what they would chose? We've seen what happens when some one messes up at a nuclear plant big time. We have also seen what happens if there is an oversite; India. I think I'd bank on the EPA lower values gradually to force polluters to develop better catalysts than an immediate cut off that would require to fire up nuclear power plants that have been sitting idle...
                            Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Saint Marcus
                              so the US is handing WoMDs to the French! the horror!
                              This is clearly the first step in Bush's plan to find WMD in Iraq.
                              “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                              "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Working...
                              X