No announcement yet.

Striking back at spammers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UR: no but that doesnt matter that idea creates a kind of war situation. Apart from satisfying your need for revenge it does not solve the problem....

Comment

I say we do it Braveheart style. On the other side we put all the spammers, and on the other side we try to fit in all the ones tired of it. Clubs, knives, axes.. and let's get it on! Side has lost if it lost all of it's fighters, and winners are who are still alive.
      In da butt.
      "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
      THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
      "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Originally posted by Atahualpa
        UR: no but that doesnt matter that idea creates a kind of war situation. Apart from satisfying your need for revenge it does not solve the problem....
        It does.

The spammers are so reckless now because the cost of spamming to them is minimal. If, all of a sudden, we find a way to increase their cost by 100x or 1000x, they will stop spamming.
        (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
        (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Pekka
          I say we do it Braveheart style.
          Do you resort to violence every time?

On the other side we put all the spammers, and on the other side we try to fit in all the ones tired of it.
          I don't know if you can fit all the people opposing spammers in there.
          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan

Comment

--"I suppose that is possible, though the technical challenges are so big that I don't think spammers will go the length of doing it."

Well, that's nice and all, but they're already doing this stuff. I really don't think you understand how much money some of these guys can make off this.

I'd direct you to some interesting info on SpamHaus, but their site seems to be having problems right now. They've been hit by DDoS attacks frequently by spammers.

These guys do not play nice. They go to great lengths to get the spam out and keep themselves at least a little removed from the action (since many of the things they do are blatantly illegal). But they make millions doing it.

--"That's why the URL will be checked by a human first."

Sorry, but this guy did not think this through. Have you ever heard of a Joe Job? All this would do is give absolutely anyone the ability to DDoS any web server in the world.
            If he wants it checked by people first, it's not an automatic response and it isn't going to do diddly. These pages do not stick around for long, and I can't see anyone having the money to pay people to check them all in the time it would require for this to work. (Well, okay, except Bill Gates, but is he going to?)

His little blacklist/whitelist thing shows that he isn't at all familiar with current anti-spam tactics. The two terms are commonly used and are very much not interchangable. That he misused them does not say much about his competence in this field.

Wraith
            "Either you're babbling, or you just told me in Cherokee 'my scrotum is many colored'."
            -- Cornfed ("Duckman")

Comment

UR, well not always with violence, but do you have better suggestion? I think solving this thing with chess tournament is not a good idea, though it's a good game.
              Or doing rock paper scissors.. we need to kick their butts. And Braveheart style, everyone can participate and it's fair rules.
              In da butt.
              "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius

Comment

And look at the topic. It says STRIKING. That means hitting the other one, or shooting etc. There is no room for misinterpretation here. It's very clear. To strike is to deliver continuos blows in order to KILL the bastards.
                In da butt.

Comment

Originally posted by Wraith
                  Well, that's nice and all, but they're already doing this stuff. I really don't think you understand how much money some of these guys can make off this.
                  Money is not the main point. You are just not going to squeeze a http server small enough to be a virus or a worm. You might be able to pass it off as a trojan.

Sorry, but this guy did not think this through. Have you ever heard of a Joe Job? All this would do is give absolutely anyone the ability to DDoS any web server in the world.
                  This ability already exists. It's far easier to write a virus or a worm to infect Wintel boxes to turn them into DDoS clients.

These pages do not stick around for long
                  If they don't stick around for long, how do people see them? If they rely on dynamic DNS, they are still vulnerable to the same attacks.

Comment

UR, well not always with violence, but do you have better suggestion?
                    Yeah.

Lock them all up in a huge cage, and tell them only one can get back out.

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Striker
                      many innocent servers will get hurt

It's true, just putting it that way is hilarious.

Comment

The problem with current anti-spam tactics is they are not very effective: they aren't hitting the spammers where they hurt most. Spams now reach a problem of such massive proportion is because costs incurred for sending spams are very, very, low.

Comment

Write your Congressman to get the CIA to have spammers mysteriously disappear in the night without trial. There's a reason terrorism isn't a popular activity.
                          Visit First Cultural Industries
                          There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
                          Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

dude, maybe we should pay for ads linking spamming and telemarketing to terrorism.

kinda like those drug ads.
                            B♭3

Comment

We need a National Do-Not-Spam list (hides from Ming). It wouldm't be enforcible though.

Comment

Working...
                              X