Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are Darwin Award Nominations Still Open?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are Darwin Award Nominations Still Open?

I'd suggest a new hobby...except now they don't need one. A new title for the book is probably also in order.

Sounds of bear attack caught on tape
    Associated Press

The graphic sounds of a deadly bear attack in the Alaska wilderness were captured on tape, revealing one of the victims' frantic screams as he tried to fend off the beast, authorities said Wednesday.

TROOPER CHRIS HILL said the tape suggests a video camera was turned on just before Timothy Treadwell was attacked at his campsite. His girlfriend, Amie Huguenard, was later mauled to death by a bear. The recording is audio only, and the screen is blank for all six minutes.

"They're both screaming, she's telling him to play dead, then it changes to fighting back. He asks her to hit the bear," Hill said. "There's so much noise going on. I don't know what's him and what might be an animal.

"It's pretty disturbing. I keep hearing it in my mind."

The remains of Treadwell, 46, and Huguenard, 37, both of Malibu, Calif., were found Monday at Katmai National Park and Preserve on the Alaska Peninsula. Treadwell was known for approaching, even touching, bears in the wild.

An air taxi pilot who arrived to pick up the couple contacted the National Park Service and troopers to report a brown bear was apparently sitting on top of human remains in the camp.

A ranger shot and killed a large brown bear when the animal charged at them through the dense brush. Troopers and rangers later killed a smaller bear apparently stalking them.

Hill said he was stunned by what he heard on the tape.

"The audio starts while he's being mauled and ends while he's being mauled," Hill said.

Treadwell may have heard a bear and asked Huguenard to turn on the camera, which was found with the lens cap on and packed in a camera bag, Hill said.

"At first, she sounds kind of surprised and asks if it's still out there. I'm not sure if she was asking if a bear was outside their tent or in the brush," Hill said. "The audio stops because the tape runs out. Otherwise, it probably would have captured the whole thing."

Hill said he will attempt to transcribe the tape. But there are no plans to make the recording or transcripts public, trooper spokesman Greg Wilkinson said.

Troopers recovered video and still photography equipment as well as three hours of earlier video footage from the site, across Shelikof Strait from Kodiak Island.

Much of the footage is close-up shots of bears. Some scenes show bears no more than a few feet from Treadwell, co-author of "Among Grizzlies: Living With Wild Bears in Alaska." Others show a more timid Huguenard leaning away as bears come close to her on the bank of a river.

© 2003 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
    MSNBC breaking news and the latest news for today. Get daily news from local news reporters and world news updates with live audio & video from our team.

"I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Sometimes you get the bear. Sometimes the bear gets you.
    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

never poke the bear
      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Treadwell is the type person for which the term "jackass" was coined.
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Bear attacks are pretty rare, and you basically have to back thm into a corner, get between them and their food (which could be your food) or cubs or just be in their way. Bear attacks virtually stpped in Glacier National Park when they figured out that a camp ground was on a bear track, and moved the camp ground.

Me, I'd never go wandering around in bear country without a gun. I just don't want to be eaten.
          Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

And that's why passing the time by trying to touch big bears should get you tossed out of the gene pool.
            "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

I heard this on the radio today... I guess the guy went on Leno and said that Bears are very gentle and that he would never hurt a bear... I guess Bears watch Leno...

Hey, here's one Bear who won! Unlike the Chicago kind.
              Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
                Bear attacks are pretty rare, and you basically have to back thm into a corner, get between them and their food (which could be your food) or cubs or just be in their way.
                Or meet the same bear a poacher has. (or any other possible reactions with humans that could cause a bear to reconize us as a threat or obstacle, for that matter.)
                Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Most of the time you can scare the bear away, if you know what you're doing. It's when you get caught in a tent that it's likely to be a fatal encounter, as the bear is looking to eat you. Playing dead won't help in this case.

He didn't get killed approaching a bear. The bear attacked them in their tent. At that point there was nothing to do but try and escape.

Comment

I was surrounded by black bears at Yosemite while camping off the beaten track.
                    No problems, when not cooking.
                    This guy was a...jackass.
                    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

Black bears are a lot more timid than grizzlies. They still manage to f*ck people up every now and then.

I agree he was a jackass, though. But for bringing his girlfriend to her doom.

Comment

I don't think he earned the Darwin. Stupid as it was, it just isn't funny or unique enough. Too many stupid people ****ing with the animals out there...
                        "Beauty is not in the face...Beauty is a light in the heart." - Kahlil Gibran
                        "The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved; loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves" - Victor Hugo
                        "It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good -- and less trouble." - Mark Twain

Comment

They may be less hostile, but they weren't what I'd call timid.
                          Pictures all over the ranger station about attacks on cars and such, to get at food.That's what this may have been over.
                          Bears are hogs. Yogi was a pretty accurate depiction.

Comment

GUN, people. You're living in the F$#$ing US of A, and don't get a gun when you go to bear country? that's just f#$%ing stupid.
                            urgh.NSFW

Comment

Well.. bears I guess are not on killing mode by default. But there are cases when approaching them is not a good idea (like every frigging case??!!). Especially, when it's the.. what you call it.. sex making season (sorry lack of vocabulary), so if you bump into male bear, and there's a female bear in heat, you know it's dangerous.
                              Chances are you're not boning this chick, oh no the odds are against YOU.

Another one if it's a female bear, and even if you don't know it, it might have some babies near.. and it gets protective.. maybe even paranoid after eating all those poisonous berries.. hallucinating and being toxicated like that can get you killed.

Also if you're near its home.. they can again get protective.. you are not invited, so don't push it. Or if you insist, make sure the only thing you're pulling is the trigger. So you shouldn't bother these creatures, you never know what's going on if you're not very familiar with the place and conditions. And even then, you shouldn't be poking these fellas, since you NEVER can be sure. My dog never bit me, but I'm sure she thought about it few times. But I was the master, and you are not the master of bears.
                              In da butt.
                              "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                              THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                              "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Working...
                              X