Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Needed Immediately!!!

This is an SOS.

I have to host a Laugh-Off tonight. For those of you who don't know what that is, its basically a comedy show where participants have to try to be the funniest of all competitors. I was chosen to host this year.

Problem: I don't know what I'm doing. While I can do improv comedy and write comedy, I can't get up there and do stand-up comedy. I need tips. I was going to do a routine about California, but it seems kinda pointless since its OVER.

Now I'm thinking of doing a Cubs/Red Sox world series routine...but I dunno. I just basically need to be the warm-up, and then have a funny joke between acts.

I'd appreciate it...thanks
    "I predict your ignore will rival Ben's" - Ecofarm
    ^ The Poly equivalent of:
    "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

I was going to do a routine about California, but it seems kinda pointless since its OVER
    There's your opener.
    Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
    "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

Some kind of "Roast" material?
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

It has to be something just to warm-up the audience. I need to introduce the panel of judges, so I'm going to try to make fun of them (they're professors, which is good, but I don't know them, which doesn't help). I dunno if the California recall is good enough for the college audience.
        "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

Comment

just do a very bad tommy cooper impression!
          eimi men anthropos pollon logon, mikras de sophias

Comment

who are you?

You are the host, not a contestant. You don't have to be funny. Just do it straight. Introduce the contestants and keep them moving. Gauge the audience appreciation between contestants.
            “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

I don't think I'm going that route. I'm the host for a reason: people think I'm funny. I've been asked to give a warm-up routine, as well as a commentary between each contestant.

I have no problem with the commentaries, and I think I'll be funny introducing the judges. Its just the warmup I'm concerned with.

Comment

Add more credibility to your site - get a premium domain today. Straight-forward shopping experience.
                Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

Steal

In that case, steal from others:
                  Top 10 things Arnold will do as governor (from letterman)
                  Stupid news articles (from leno)
                  etc.
                  “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Thanks a bunch, Sloww! Reading their "classes" actually gave me the idea for some material

Comment

Where's the Football player's SAT?
                      Monkey!!!

Comment

At my football-based school? That wouldn't go over well...

...though I might insult cheerleaders and nerds, in which case I wouldn't stop from insulting the APES (which is actually the football frat name)

Comment

Glad to help, E.F.
                          Saw the Intro part, and stopped reading at that point.
                          Knock 'em dead!

Comment

How many Liberal Arts majors does it take to change a light bulb?

Who knows, they're too dumb.
                            or
                            Who knows, they're too busy waiting tables.

My sister went to college to get her MRS degree.
                            Monkey!!!

Comment

Thanks a lot for the help guys...I'm off to the show

Comment

Working...
                              X