Movie Industry, Doing it Right

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Skanky Burns
    I currently own around 3 movie dvds ...*snip*... 33% of all my dvd purchases have been a direct result of watching the entire movie for free first.
    lol

:-D
    If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
      I can see your point about the price of music cds being higher than movie dvds. What portion of those who participate in cd piracy would give that as a reason?
      I'm not saying their justified. But Anger is a powerful motivator.

Consumers pissed over high prices of music cds are more motivated to go out and write share programs to "get even" with the recording industry. If its only $10 to go buy a movies, they'll be less motivated to sit down and design a program, they would just as soon go buy the cheap movie.

And yes, the recording industry screws the artists as well. Makes you wonder how long they'll keep control of everything. You'd think the Artists and Consumers would get together and make and internet program where the Consumers buy the music directly from the Artists and completely cut the recording industry out of the loop.............

Comment

What is it with the movie industry and ****s?
        “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
        "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Refusing to send out screeners is terrible news. Expect to see the oscars dominated by more mainstream schlock than ever before.
          "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
          Drake Tungsten
          "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
          Albert Speer

Comment

Who cares about the Oscars, besides ****s?
            KH FOR OWNER!
            ASHER FOR CEO!!
            GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Originally posted by monolith94
              Refusing to send out screeners is terrible news. Expect to see the oscars dominated by more mainstream schlock than ever before.
              Actually, expect the reverse. Independents aren't covered by this decision.
              Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

On sunday I paid 80 dollars to go see Kill Hannah, Socialburn, Eve 6, Sevendust, Trapt, and Staind...it was expensive but I had no problem with that, but they were selling their cd's for 15 bucks a pop there, and that just seemed unjustified

the last time i bought a cd was last december at a trust company concert where i got it for 10 bucks and didn't have to pay sales tax, I know I personally would buy more cd's if the price was lower. Even 9.99 seems a little high to me, because I mean serious at walmart they have they 5.88 dvd rack (granted it is mostly crap but i did find the jack bull in it which is a wonderful movie) but albums cost less to make compared to a movie, and cd's should cost less to produce than DVD's. I don't see where the high prices are coming from except for the big five distributors monopoly on album sales.

However, I'm not going to pay 99 cents a song to download it. AFAIK the sound quality is worse, you don't get any art work/packaging extras, and their distrubution costs are lower and even less justified. Tell the RIAA to wake me when they are charging between 25-49 cents for a high quality download.

Comment

when dvds with the movie and the soundtrack included (like Chicago) is only three dollars more than the soundtrack itself with no extras, something's wrong.
                  B♭3

Comment

The price of a DVD shouldn't be compared to the price of a CD. There are many fewer movies produced than albums and I would hazard a guess that overall movie sales are much higher than album sales.
                    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

true for most cases, dans.

but for a movie soundtrack compared to a movie dvd...? the prices being so close?
                      B♭3

Comment

One thing to consider is that movies can make a big chunk of their production cost, and even profit, back during their theatrical run. There's no equivalent for music CDs in the recording industry; concerts primarily benefit the artist and not the studio IIRC.
                        "If you doubt that an infinite number of monkeys at an infinite number of typewriters would eventually produce the combined works of Shakespeare, consider: it only took 30 billion monkeys and no typewriters." - Unknown

Comment

400,000 to 600,000 films are being illegally abducted every day
                          What, really? They are being gagged and shoved in the back seat of a car?

We should consider the difference in the medium. A movie is something one usually watches once and, if it's really THAT good, one may watch it a couple of times again. A CD is something that one might want to listen to hundrends of times in his lifetime. That's why there is a movie rental industry and not a CD rental one. That means that since the average spectator will only want to see the film once, he will gladly pay 7 Euro to a cinema or 1,5 Euro to a DVD/VHS rental rather than pirate it (asuming that pirating will cost him less money than that, which isn't the case yet) just because he won't need to keep a copy of the film afterwards.
                          "In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act."
                          George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Skanky Burns
                            I currently own around 3 movie dvds. Being a uni student means I don't have much disposable income.
                            Regardless though, 33% of all my dvd purchases have been a direct result of watching the entire movie for free first.

I currently own 4 movie DVDs. 50% of all my DVD purchases have been a direct result of watching the entire movie for free first.
                            Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

100% of my dvd purchases have been a direct result of my complete, utter lack of sanity and a budget.
                              "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
                              Drake Tungsten
                              "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
                              Albert Speer

Comment

most of my dvds (~75%) have been imported, and thus are outside the jurisdiction of the MPAA.
                                B♭3

Comment

Working...
                                X