My Mother Just Went to Syria

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Mother Just Went to Syria

My mother once worked for the UNHCR, and as thanks for the help she has given them, was invited to a huge wedding in....SYRIA! All expenses, great food....sounded great.

Now I open apolyton and find that it's coming under the gun, so to speak...

I just hope Bush, Sharon, and Assad can stop being idiots long enough for the wedding to get on and be over.
    "Wait a minute..this isn''t FAUX dive, it's just a DIVE!"
    "...Mangy dog staggering about, looking vainly for a place to die."
    "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

Why would anyone think Syria safe?
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

tell her to come back.

and that the wedding party should refrain from shooting guns into the air.
      B♭3

Comment

and that the wedding party should refrain from shooting guns into the air.

fat chance for that.
        urgh.NSFW

Comment

At any rate, here are prayers for her safety.
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

Re: My Mother Just Went to Syria

Originally posted by Seeker

I just hope Bush, Sharon, and Assad can stop being idiots long enough for the wedding to get on and be over.
            Well if they weren't invited to the wedding then why should they care to stop the shooting?

Will she bring you back a t-shirt that says "Syria" on it?

Comment

She returns home safely.. odds are with her.. but I understand your worries, I'd be close to paranoia now if I was you . Though I am sure she's safe, I hope it stays that way too and that you get some peace of mind over this matter.
              In da butt.
              "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
              THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
              "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

"Why would anyone think Syria safe?"

We're Canadians.
                "Wait a minute..this isn''t FAUX dive, it's just a DIVE!"
                "...Mangy dog staggering about, looking vainly for a place to die."
                "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

Comment

Oh, well hell. She's definitely in trouble then.
                  Everybody knows about you Canadians.

There are Iraqi's in Iraq. Some got killed by Hussein's actions.
                  Syria is little different.

Comment

Syria is a pretty big country, and also Damaskus is pretty much spread out, so the your mother is almost certainly OK.

Add that the Israeli's usually aim carefully in aerial attacks (I can speak from experience) you should not fear.

It would be nice though if Bush, Sharon, Assad and quite a few other idiots would stop being their natural selfes for as long as weddings take place anywhere in the region
                    "post reported"Winston, on the barricades for freedom of speech
                    "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

I've been in Syria two times and there was nothing to worry about
                      I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

Is there any country that a 'Poly member has not visited?

I would guess some of the Pacific micro-states
                        "An Outside Context Problem was the sort of thing most civilisations encountered just once, and which they tended to encounter rather in the same way a sentence encountered a full stop" - Excession

Comment

Originally posted by Datajack Franit
                          I've been in Syria two times and there was nothing to worry about
                          That's right, I know a couple of people who've been there recently and as long as you don't go into Palestinian camps or some place that could be confounded, there's nothing to worry about. A beautiful country, just don't care about politics.
                          "The world is too small in Vorarlberg". Austrian ex-vice-chancellor Hubert Gorbach in a letter to Alistar [sic] Darling, looking for a job...
                          "Let me break this down for you, fresh from algebra II. A 95% chance to win 5 times means a (95*5) chance to win = 475% chance to win." Wiglaf, Court jester or hayseed, you judge.

Comment

Well, as long as there is no Israeli bullit/bomb with your name on it, even the Palestianian refugee-camps (which would be more apropriately (sp?) called (refugee-)suburbs) are as save to be in as anywhere in Syria.

As a matter of fact, when travelling in the near-east, the biggest threat you face when it comes to violence related to the Israeli/Arab conflict is from cross-border Israeli operations.

That is if your are cross-border from Israel, obviously.

disclaimer: does not aply to Israeli citizens, presumably.
                            "post reported"Winston, on the barricades for freedom of speech
                            "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

Syria should be pretty safe as long as you don't look obviously America/western, don't like Jewish or say anything pro-Jewish like "My neighbor is a nice Jewish lady" (Instead try telling them she is a evil zionist who enoys murdering Arab children as this will make you popular), and don't mention anything about Syrias appaling human rights record or their support of terrorism as this may get you in trouble with Asad's secret police.
                              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Working...
                              X