No announcement yet.

What language do they speak in Sweden?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What language do they speak in Sweden?

Duh! Swedish! I think. But thats not the real reason for this post.

My father and I are doing genealogy research on our family. We found some very distant relatives that live in Alvesta Sweden. We got their address and wrote them a letter in an attempt to get to know our family better (and hope they have more information for us ). They sent a letter back but there is only one problem. They wrote the letter in Swedish (naturally, as we wrote ours in english)! So, I am looking for someone who can read and write in both Swedish and English who can translate for me (we have tried some translation programs, but not with much success). Is there anyone on this forum who can help?
    Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
    1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

I can. PM me.
    Världsstad - Dom lokala genrenas vän
    Mick102, 102,3 Umeå, Måndagar 20-21

Comment

I can do it 5 hours from now.
      CSPA

Comment

Or you could just post it here and leave all your family secrets on public display for everyone to titter over.

Comment

doh. yeah let buck do it. he's a even a real swede iirc
          CSPA

Comment

Cool. Thanks guys. I'll send it as soon as I can (will take some time, cause I will have to find a place to scan it because I can't even type half the letters used in it!).
            1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

well if it's easier than scanning you could transcribe those weird letters:

ä = ae
              ö = oe
              å = aa
              CSPA

Comment

Another Swede here, at your service
                The enemy cannot push a button if you disable his hand.

Comment

Any Swedish ladies ready to serve? Atteeention!
                  In da butt.
                  "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                  THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                  "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

They wrote the letter in Swedish (naturally, as we wrote ours in english)!
                    No, that's hardly 'natural' as most swedes know english well enough. Maybe they are old, though.

Comment

Done! That was quite long.

Comment

Re: What language do they speak in Sweden?

I think they speak donegease...................

Comment

So what's it say, they happy to finally get to meet (sort of) your side of the family? Do they hate Henrik?

Comment

First off, thank you very much Buck. My dad was completely lost on what to do. How was he susposed to find someone who could translate Swedish in the middle of nowhere (um... that would be Wisconsin)?

Looks like there is a ligitimate use for this forum.....

Just for the curious.... it was long, but really kinda boring to someone who isn't interested in genealogy. For those interested, I'll give a quick overview:

Here is my relationship with the person who wrote the letter. My father's grandmother's youngest brother's granddaughter. Yep. Thats it.

The letter was talking about what happened and who were some of the other sibblings of my great grandmother. The most exciting topic, however, was that fact that there are appearently well preserved letters and pictures dating almost as far back as the camera (ok, at least before the turn of the century). My dad has a display going at home with pictures going all the way to my Great great (at least I think its two greats) grandpa. We have so far managed to trace our heritage back to the Teutonic Knights in the 13th Century (East Prussia and the Balkan States). At least I think thats the time frame. Obviously, I don't have pictures of these family members, but its still really neat to see where I come from....

Comment

Johan is the man...not that this post is any use because he has already replied
                              Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Working...
                              X