Best Director's Edition/Cut?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Director's Edition/Cut?

What movie has had the best Director's Edition?

For me, it is Star Trek I: The Motion Picture. Besides the much enhanced visual and audio quality gained through the transfer to DVD, Robert Wise(the director) did a very nice job at touching up the movie(adding some scenes he couldn't put in due to time restraints, and removing/shortening scenes, so that it more closely matched what he wanted).

Whereas before, the Motion Picture seemed slow and too focused on the pretty technology they could show, the Dir. Edition shows a much improved version; for me, I could really grasp what Robert Wise intended. I got a Space Odyssey-esque feel for the first time(I always knew this is what they had wanted the Motion Picture to be, but the movie never gave me that impression.

This movie was a clear demonstration of what all Director's Editions should be, not just a pretty 3D menu and some useless commentary.

Blade Runner, duh.

Fellowship of the Ring - Extended Edition was good too.

Comment

Can there be any question???

Brazil.
      "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
      Drake Tungsten
      "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
      Albert Speer

Comment

Apocalypse Now Redux.
        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Blade Runner, at least until I see Apocalypse Now.
          Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Another vote for Blade Runner.

I don't think Brazil really counts, since Gilliam's version was released in places.
            "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

How about the soon to be released version of Disney's Lion King, which will add an entire new song to an already beloved classic?

Make sure the Lion sleeps in your DVD collection tonight! Pre-order now!

http://monkspider.blogspot.com/

Comment

The extended edition of LOTR:FOTR was the best I've ever seen. A whole new hour added to the movie and 6 hours of good documentaries.

Hopefully the next two DVDs will live up to it.
                If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

I haven't seen it in a video store, but there was a special director's cut version of the original Dune movie which made the movie almost enjoyable.
                  "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Originally posted by FrustratedPoet
                    The extended edition of LOTR:FOTR was the best I've ever seen. A whole new hour added to the movie and 6 hours of good documentaries.

Hopefully the next two DVDs will live up to it.
                    This is two votes for LOTR:FOTR The director's cut made the story line much clearer.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
                      I haven't seen it in a video store, but there was a special director's cut version of the original Dune movie which made the movie almost enjoyable.
                      It's actually an Alan Smithee version- based on a cut of 'Dune' shown on Canadian television. It's three hours long, and comes with an explanatory prologue- which is the part that Lynch objected to. However in terms of clarity, the film is a great improvement over the butchered version released to the cinema. It does leave out the Baron Harkonnen/young slave/heartplug sequence though. It's available on video and dvd over here.
                      Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Working...
                      X