Have you ever met a (personal) hero?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have you ever met a (personal) hero?

One of the people who I (really) looked up to when I was a kid was Paul Weller (in his Jam days), I bumped into him in New York 3 or 4 years ago and he turned out to be a really nice guy, I'd have been gutted he had turned out to be an arrogant swine.

anyone else met a hero of theirs? and if so, was it a dissapointment or were they nice people?

Sadly, no. But hopefully I'll meet Richard Dean Anderson one of these days.
    "Paul Hanson, you should give Gibraltar back to the Spanish" - Paiktis, dramatically over-estimating my influence in diplomatic circles.

Eyewerks - you know you want to visit. No really, you do. Go on, click me.

Comment

Well, maybe some day I'll meet Ming, rah, or MtG.. I can only hope *crosses fingers* I luuuuuuuvs the moderators
      In da butt.
      "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
      THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
      "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

I don't have a personal hero.
        Monkey!!!

Comment

@Pekka
          ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
          ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

Originally posted by Japher
            you could always adopt one?

Comment

I have not met a personal hero.

I think you would get more posts, if you would have asked people who they consider to be their personal hero that is alive, or just recently passed away.
              A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

neither do I anymore (old and cynical), but there must have been someone who you looked up to as a kid?

Comment

When I was in college studying Geology it seemed like just about every geologic map of the western US had been done by Thomas Dibley. I swear to god I must have sited that guy's work a thousand times if you add up the works sited pages of all the papers I did in college. So any way about a year ago I actually meet the man. He was 96 (!!!) years old and began working in Geology when he was 16 WAAAAAYYYYY back in 1922. He still was an active member of the Geologic community and he spent most of his days taking old field notes and maps and preping them for publication.

He's a real credit to the field of Geology.
                  Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Well, not really. I liked Edward Teller... but he just died. My grandpa was cool until he died. Yet, not really anyone famous.
                    Monkey!!!

Comment

The poet Adrian Mitchell and the singer Mark Eitzel.
                      The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Lazarus and the Gimp. I asked him out for a beer once, but he turned me down.
                        ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
                        ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

Whilst not personal heroes, I have met Alf Stewart (Ray Meagher) and Karl Kennedy (Alan Fletcher).
                          One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Well, not really. I liked Edward Teller...
                            Edward Teller? Isn't he the guy who did a job on Oppenheimer? Quite dastardly, that.
                            (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                            (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                            (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

I once had a slash with heath streak
                              (+1)

Comment

Working...
                              X