Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iraq surpasses pre-war electric power levels

Reuters:

'Iraq's power supply has topped pre-war levels as the country's decrepit electricity system is rebuilt, the U.S.-led administration said Friday.

Charles Heatly, a spokesman for the Coalition Provisional Authority, said the power system was producing 4,500 megawatts a day as of Oct. 1.

The highest estimated level of output before the U.S. invasion that ousted dictator Saddam Hussein in April was 4,400 MW, he said.

"What we're giving is a very solid figure of 4,500 at the moment and that is clearly above even the highest possible (prewar) estimate," Heatly told a news conference'
    "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

so the total output might be higher...

...the number of people living without electricity is a lot higher than in Saddam days.
    Quod Me Nutrit Me Destruit

Comment

Originally posted by Saint Marcus
      so the total output might be higher...

...the number of people living without electricity is a lot higher than in Saddam days.
      nope, just looks that way, cause:

'Many cities are still without power for much of the day, but distribution has become more even-handed, he said.

Before the war, Baghdad had power 18 to 24 hours a day as other regions went without. The capital now gets 12 hours a day, but the oil center of Kirkuk has power 18 hours daily, above pre-war levels, Heatly said. '

Also from Reuters.
      "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Link!

Comment

Originally posted by Sandman
          Link!
          Link

Comment

The capital now gets 12 hours a day, but the oil center of Kirkuk has power 18 hours daily,

Interesting how they set priorities on which cities get power.
            American by birth, smarter than the average tropical fruit by the grace of Me. -me
            I try not to break the rules but merely to test their elasticity. -- Bill Veeck | Don't listed to the Linux Satanist, people. - St. Leo | If patching security holes was the top priority of any of us(no matter the OS), we'd do nothing else. - Me, in a tired and accidental attempt to draw fire from all three sides.
            Posted with Mozilla Firebird running under Sawfish on a Slackware Linux install.:p
            XGalaga.

Comment

Yeah, you probably need the oil to generate more electricity
              It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I'm sure Amoco, Exxon, Texaco, Shell, and other benevolent organizations will direct the distribution of electricity and other resources to the common people . . .
                A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Originally posted by geeslaka
                  The capital now gets 12 hours a day, but the oil center of Kirkuk has power 18 hours daily,

Interesting how they set priorities on which cities get power.
                  seems smart to me.

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun
                    I'm sure Amoco, Exxon, Texaco, Shell, and other benevolent organizations will direct the distribution of electricity and other resources to the common people . . .
                    even if it wasn't some massively evil corporate conspiracy to rape iraq of its oil. would it not still be intelligent to safeguard and nurture the iraqi's most valuable resource? would not oil still be a top priority?

sometimes I feel like if a liberal had invaded iraq he would have just ignored the oil?

Comment

what i love is the fact that although the state department knew how bad the infrastructure was in iraq, the defense department didn't.
                      B♭3

Comment

well, yavoon, let's not make too big of a point in that a liberal probably wouldn't have invaded iraq.
                        B♭3

Comment

Originally posted by yavoon

even if it wasn't some massively evil corporate conspiracy to rape iraq of its oil. would it not still be intelligent to safeguard and nurture the iraqi's most valuable resource? would not oil still be a top priority?

sometimes I feel like if a liberal had invaded iraq he would have just ignored the oil?
                          I'm going to wait and see if this new "deomcracy" in Iraq will outwardly appear to be for the Iraqi citizens, while being operated from behind the curtains by the oil industry tycoons of United States and other Western nations.

OR, if there will be a true democracy in Iraq without oil executives drinking from the trough.
                          A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Originally posted by Q Cubed
                            well, yavoon, let's not make too big of a point in that a liberal probably wouldn't have invaded iraq.
                            perhaps just fire a bunch of cruise missiles in? liberals did always like the bark and not the bite.

Comment

Ok, some gripes about the article.

Firstly, we only have the Coalition spokesman's view of the situation. The article notes that his figure for electricity demand is rather different from the Iraqi Electricity Ministry: he says 6500MW, whilst the ministry says 9000MW. I think it's likely the spokeman is exaggerating the electricity output.

The highest estimated level of output before the U.S. invasion that ousted dictator Saddam Hussein (news - web sites) in April was 4,400 MW, he said.
                              The Iraqi power grid is generating 4,200 MW, Heatly said. Another 300 MW is coming from power plants supplying oil pumping stations and refineries.
                              The only reason that it is higher than pre-war is because the oil pumping power plants are added to the figure. If they are seperate from the Iraqi grid (and I fail to see why they would be mentioned seperately unless they were), why include them at all? It's comparing apples and oranges.

The Electricity Ministry has estimated that postwar output fell to about 3,500 MW because of looting and sabotage, cutting power to a few hours a day.
                              Seems strange that the power output only fell by 900MW, depsite the looting, sabotage and bombing.

Before the war, Baghdad had power 18 to 24 hours a day as other regions went without. The capital now gets 12 hours a day, but the oil center of Kirkuk has power 18 hours daily, above pre-war levels, Heatly said.
                              Fair enough, but what was the pre-war level in Kirkuk? And might the fact that it's an oil centre skew things? What about Basra or Fallujah?

Comment

Working...
                              X