X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat
    Someplace nice, under the shade. Formal dress so to speak,
    You do have a way with words.
    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat

We need to reinstitute having neighborhood parties for carpetbaggers. Someplace nice, under the shade. Formal dress so to speak, though you can skip the tails part.
      Oh, boy, a picnic!
      I'm consitently stupid- Japher
      I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Originally posted by Theben

So you admit that Virginians can't tell the difference between Joisey speak and southern drawl?

More proof of the stupidity of southerners.
        well that would show that neither are from around here, since most native virginians (that ive met) have an accent that is somewhat different from your stereotypical georgia/alabama drawl. Though its still quite recognizably southern - you can generally tell a native virginian from native marylander fairly easily. The boundary is vague on the west side of DC - where the elite yankee Republican suburb of Great Falls, VA meets the elite, cosmopolitan Democrat suburb of Potomac MD. Its much more dramatic on the southeast side of DC, where native Alexandrians with southern accents stand in sharp contrast with PG county marylanders with decided Mid-atlantic/baltimore accents. the difference between the two side of the Wilson bridge is striking.
        "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

well princess of the mark, who has lived most of her life in virginia, vehemently denies being a southerner when i tease her about it. Guess life in the suburbs of DC, with two yankee parents, and several years in a jewish day school will do that to a kid

I continue to prefer grits to hash browns (when i'm not having bagels and lox for breakfast) and to think "Y'all" is a far superior 2nd person plural to "you guys". So im willing to happily go native, at least a little bit, though of course not redneck (where did people get the idea that southern means redneck?)
          "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
            We've decided to finally destroy the South by colonizing it.
            back when i lived in "florida's first coast" i found the yankees rather more insufferable than the southrons. I southerner was there cause they were there, and so might actually be intellectual. and if not intellectual, at least interesting. Yankees had generally chosen to be there, and any yankee who chose to live in north florida was usually someone with far different values from my own.

Comment

Strange... In one of the few Southern cultural expressions we get over here, Southern Hip-Hop, the identity seems to only have grown since Goodie Mob coined the term "Dirty South" some years ago. I mean, twenty years ago could you have imagined a record cover like this?

Världsstad - Dom lokala genrenas vän
              Mick102, 102,3 Umeå, Måndagar 20-21

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark
                "Y'all" is a far superior 2nd person plural to "you guys".
                Come on! Everyone knows the only proper 2nd person plural is "youse guys" - just ask anyone from Brooklyn.

where did people get the idea that southern means redneck?

Comment

Originally posted by gunkulator

Come on! Everyone knows the only proper 2nd person plural is "youse guys" - just ask anyone from Brooklyn.

1. I am from brooklyn.
                  2. an example of yet another southerner who is a great author.

Comment

Having spend a couple of months in various places in the American South, I've come to detest the culture there in rural areas, and to a lesser degree in towns and not too large cities. (Atlanta seemed alright).
                    Quod Me Nutrit Me Destruit

Comment

Originally posted by Theben

So you admit that Virginians can't tell the difference between Joisey speak and southern drawl?

More proof of the stupidity of southerners.
                      I've lived in "Joisey" all my life.

Nobody actually says "Joisey", save for a narrow band on both sides of the Hudson.

Here's an exercise: find out how close to the Mason-Dixon line Gloucester City, NJ actually is.
                      No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove

I was born in Knoxville. My Dad got a degree in engineering thanks to the G.I. bill and stayed on for a few years while working for the T.V.A. His family was from Paris, TN, my mother's family was from Memphis, TN. We left Tennessee when I was two because Dad wanted to pursue a career in electronics design. There just wasn't anything like that in the South in the early 1950s, so he took a job with G.E. in Syracuse, NY.
                        It really is a small world. I lived in Knoxville for years and my mom is from Paris. I lived in Memphis for a few years as well.
                        "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Originally posted by mrmitchell
                          I myself don't count Texas as part of the South,
                          Deep south culture goes a little way into East Texas, but not real far.
                          Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
                          Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
                          "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
                          From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

Working...
                          X