• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US-Administration puts Iraq for Sale on eBay

But still no Bidders

IN POLICY SHIFT, U.S. PUTS IRAQ ON eBAY

No Takers in First 24 Hours

In what was seen as a marked shift in American foreign policy, on Sunday the U.S. put the entire nation of Iraq up for sale on the Internet auction site eBay.

The decision to list the Middle Eastern nation on the popular auction site surprised many at the United Nations, where just days ago President George W. Bush had made an impassioned plea for troops and money to help rebuild the war-torn country.

But Mr. Bush hinted at the policy shift in his national radio address Saturday, saying, “We are not occupiers nor liberators: we are highly motivated sellers.”

French President Jacques Chirac was the first to notice the listing of Iraq on eBay Sunday morning, when the French leader logged on in search of some rare Edith Piaf recordings.

While surfing the auction site, Mr. Chirac noticed the listing for the oil-rich nation, with an asking price of $87 billion and a seller identified only as RUMMY55.

Jake Braswell, 39, a video store clerk who regularly visits eBay in search of memorabilia from the ‘70’s television series “Battlestar Gallactica,” said he had no intention of putting in a bid for Iraq, adding that he thought the listing itself was “misleading.”

“No way is Iraq in ‘mint condition,’” Mr. Braswell said.

As of late last night, U.S. officials were still holding out hope that someone, possibly erstwhile media mogul Edgar Bronfman Jr., might be tempted to make a bid for Iraq, but their mood was growing increasingly pessimistic.

“In retrospect, asking for $87 billion might have been a mistake,” one official conceded.
    Home of Truth. Click to read The Borowitz Report, by Andy Borowitz, a Substack publication with hundreds of thousands of subscribers.
    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

(\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

"I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
      "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

@ RUMMY55

Comment

Will Haliburton and Bechtel's contracts remain valid under the new owner?
            Official Homepage of the HiRes Graphics Patch for Civ2

Comment

I'd laugh more if I was awake.
              American by birth, smarter than the average tropical fruit by the grace of Me. -me
              I try not to break the rules but merely to test their elasticity. -- Bill Veeck | Don't listed to the Linux Satanist, people. - St. Leo | If patching security holes was the top priority of any of us(no matter the OS), we'd do nothing else. - Me, in a tired and accidental attempt to draw fire from all three sides.
              Posted with Mozilla Firebird running under Sawfish on a Slackware Linux install.:p
              XGalaga.

Comment

Working...
              X