X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lesbian-only festival sparks anger

Let the extended battle of the sexes begin....:

September 30, 2003

A spat has broken out over a bid to exclude anyone other than female-born lesbians from attending or working at a national lesbian festival.

Organisers of Lesfest 2004, to be held at Daylesford in country Victoria, today had an exemption from equal opportunity laws revoked in the Victorian Civil and Administrative Appeals Tribunal (VCAT).

The tribunal decision made earlier this month had allowed organisers to advertise for only female-born lesbians to attend or work at the seven-day conference.

But the exemption was today overturned because the organisers had failed to notify the tribunal about a complaint.

The Australian WOMAN Network (AWN), a transsexual lobby group, had applied to revoke the exemption because the term "female-born" was offensive.

Lesfest spokeswoman Anna Holland-Moore said outside the tribunal there was a difference between lesbians who were raised female and those born male.

She said the homosexual community was diverse and transsexuals had the right to celebrate their own identity.

"It's not about excluding, it's about affirmation of our identity," Ms Holland-Moore said.

"We just wanted a week together to consolidate our culture and discuss relevant issues."

She said organisers were also worried about the effect opening the festival to non-lesbians would have on their women-only ceremonies and workshops.

An internet advertisement for the January festival says it will be held on 60 hectares on which there will be "peaceful bush, big gums and lots of birdlife".

The festival will include political forums, performing arts, healing space, workshops and talking circles.

More than 150 people are expected to attend.

The exemption would have ensured even caterers were lesbians.

Boys aged over eight and non-lesbian girls over 15 were also banned from attending.

AWN co-convenor Karen Gurney said outside the tribunal that the exemption had caused "distress" among the group's members because it failed to recognise transsexuals as medically and legally women.

Lesfest organisers said they were yet to decide if they would reapply for an exemption or "just send out private invitations".

Ok we can golf together we can er meet together, The next ten years should be interesting. All in the dictorial powers favor but interesting....
    “The Communist Manifesto was correct…but…we see the privileges of the capitalist bourgeoisie yielding…to democratic organizations…In my judgment…success lies in a steady [peaceful] advance…[rather]…than in…a catastrophic crash."Eduard Bernstein
    Or do we?

60 hectares of peaceful bush
    The real reason they don't want anyone else there.

I'm consitently stupid- Japher
    I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Too true could you blame them? Rod in hand fish in lake no one bitting.
      “The Communist Manifesto was correct…but…we see the privileges of the capitalist bourgeoisie yielding…to democratic organizations…In my judgment…success lies in a steady [peaceful] advance…[rather]…than in…a catastrophic crash."Eduard Bernstein
      Or do we?

Comment

It's weird when a bunch of left leaning lesbians are accused of being intolerant.
        Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

Comment

but it's true. They shouldn't discriminate.
          "Chegitz, still angry about the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991?
          You provide no source. You PROVIDE NOTHING! And yet you want to destroy capitalism.. you criminal..." - Fez

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

Well, this is something you don't read about everyday. **LOL**
            "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

They've offended a transsexual lobby group?

I bet they are quaking in their boots.
              I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

An internet advertisement for the January festival says it will be held on 60 hectares on which there will be "peaceful bush, big gums and lots of birdlife".

:0
                He's got the Midas touch.
                But he touched it too much!
                Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

Well cant blame them, that they dont want any "tourists" on their meeting...
                  If its no fun why do it? Dance like noone is watching...

Comment

Originally posted by Sikander

:0
                    If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

I don't see why private organizations can't exclude whomever they want whenever they want.
                      Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
                      Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

Boys aged over eight and non-lesbian girls over 15 were also banned from attending.
                        I find this somewhat disturbing... shouldn't everyone under the age of 15 be banned anyway?!

Comment

there's few things more entertaining than internal queer politics, the repercussions that a handful of transidentified (people what are physically one gender but think of themselves as being a member as the other for whatever reason) people with big mouths had on my campus' queer community was really fun to watch, mostly because transidentification only reinforces gender norms and heteronormativity and all that good stuff
                          Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

Originally posted by Gibsie

I find this somewhat disturbing... shouldn't everyone under the age of 15 be banned anyway?!
                            Then what are the mothers to do?
                            Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

How would they ensure all the females there were lesbians?????
                              Desperados of the world, unite. You have nothing to lose but your dignity.......

Comment

Working...
                              X