X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi
    chegitz guevara.

Great name.
    Chegitz is a yiddish word that is used to refer to a non-Jewish male (equiv of chiksa) It is derived from a word that means something that renders impure by touch - it is a very nasty word. Its not a word that I would use in regard to a non-Jew. Think about what a black person might feel if a white person used "honkie" as a nick name. It both calls attention to the persons ethnic status, and is a constant reminder that the "oppressed" minority uses objectionable slurs about members of the majority.

Now I accept that Mr. Guevera is not an antisemite, and is opposed to racism and discrimination (including antisemitism). I also understand that the name was given to him by (Jewish?) friends, and was considered cute. I also recognize that it seems like a cute pun on the name of Che Guevera. Given all of the above, I realize that Mr Guevera does NOT intend to convey the things i mentioned in my first paragraph. I also realize that people with less familiarity with Yiddish and less sensitivity to this issue may not pick up the resonances i pick up. Recognizing all of the above, I'd be very pleased if Guevera decided to change his nick.
    "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

id say "my wife hates civ" is hands down the best nick. maybe you need to be married to understand.
      "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

MWHC is good.
        As is Frustrated Poet.

You left one off from someone that posted in this thread.
        It's such a good fit.
        So accurate.

Berzerker

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Oh yes -- I really like Berzerker, the name, too.
          A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark
            Recognizing all of the above, I'd be very pleased if Guevera decided to change his nick.
            I understand your concerns, but as I've been using this nick for ten years now, it's not about to happen.

P.S. Yes, it was Jewish comrades who called me shaygetz. They were not, however, being nice, but amusing themselves calling me various insults in Yiddish. I just turned an insult into a joke, which, as you must admit, is a very Jewish thing to do.
            Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Jewish comrades.

Che's been under fire most his life.
              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                Che's been under fire most his life.
                I had some issues at the time. For some reason I let myself be insulted a lot, not drawing a line between gentle ribbing and stuff that most people would consider crosses the line. Didn't help things that the person who led our little commie sewing circle was an abusive SOB.

But what does not kill me makes me stronger and I am a much more secure person in myself since I realized I didn't care what he thought.
                Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Yay! 2 people like my name!
                  If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

"little commie sewing circle".

gawd, that's funny.

Comment

I like 'Skanky Burns'.
                      urgh.NSFW

Comment

Yeah... My Wife Hates Civ has to be considered one of the classics. The first time my wife saw it... she commented on how that name would have been appropriate for me
                        Keep on Civin'
                        RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

The worst ones are all names with a number at the end. Some of them, like Ixnay and Alva and Ben Kenobi, had the good sense to have theirs surgically removed by the mods.

Comment

You many not recognize it here, but (I can't believe I'm writing this) EyesOfNight was always eye-catching to me.

Now I need to go be sick.
                            Excuse me.

Comment

:vomit:

Comment

Originally posted by FrustratedPoet
                                :vomit:
                                Nahhhh... this works much better

Keep on Civin'
                                RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Working...
                                X