Were the Ninties a Anomoly?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Were the Ninties a Anomoly?

A lot of liberals like to look back on the 90s like it was a Golden Age (though, compared to what we've had the past three years, it's unsderstandable). But were the 90s really all that great? It's not like we had 8 years of high growth and low unemployment. That was only towards the end, after the East Asian markets collapsed and money started flooding into the U.S. looking for a safe haven for investment.

For the first haf of the Clinton years, the job market was stagnant, wage growth was stagnant, things weren't all that great, though they were better than the Ford-Carter-Reagan-Bush years. Back in the 90s we were talking of a jobless recovery (as opposed to today's jobloss recovery).

But now the money's fled, the jobs are gone, unemployment's up, and it's feeling a lot like the 80s all over again.

Were the 90s a blip, and now we're back to normal? Or is this the blip?
    Last edited by chequita guevara; October 8, 2003, 13:15.
    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

yes.
    B♭3

Comment

There was a lot of demand for computers and other new products which created high paying jobs and stimulated other industries. That was what made the 90s better than the 70s and 80s. That's bust now. Who knows what will happen the rest of this decade, but I predict another very bad recession if we are really recoverying from the last one, but I still have doubts about that. However, I'm sure that the short run won't be anything like the 90s unless some very intelligent policies are implemented.
      I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
      - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

The 80's were pretty good; certainly better then the 70's. Still the 90's are going to be remembered as one of those rare decades like the 50's or the 20's where every just seemed to be working out right.
        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

man, does this mean that i'll be telling my grandkids how rough we had it back in the great dot-com bomb?
          B♭3

Comment

What's up, Kidicious, long time no see.
            urgh.NSFW

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious
              There was a lot of demand for computers and other new products which created high paying jobs and stimulated other industries. That was what made the 90s better than the 70s and 80s. That's bust now. Who knows what will happen the rest of this decade, but I predict another very bad recession if we are really recoverying from the last one, but I still have doubts about that. However, I'm sure that the short run won't be anything like the 90s unless some very intelligent policies are implemented.
              An increasing number of skilled, technical jobs are going overseas now, along with the usual industrial production jobs.
              A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Originally posted by Azazel
                What's up, Kidicious, long time no see.
                I've been around here and there. School started and I don't have a computer at home. So I have to use the school computers, and I usually should be studying when I do.
                I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Increased trade, lower petroleum prices, and the peace dividend made the 1990's the inverse of the 1970's.

Most firms and consumers are pretty much loaded up on capital goods right now. When these start wearing out we will start seeing cyclic increases in output.
                  Old posters never die.
                  They j.u.s.t..f..a..d..e...a...w...a...y....

Comment

my family was extremely poor in the 80s (lived in a trailer, ate rice and beans, ect) (some of it was my younger sister who had a congenital heart defect)

we were fairly poor in the 90s (my mom made less than 22000 a year and my dad didn't work) but it was ok because of disability (I have 4 siblings, so it was still tight)

me and my siblings and mom are all doing ok right now (compared to the 80s), in that we all have disposable income (Well, my youngest brother does not because he is in college and my older sister does not because she ****s everything up)

Jon Miller
                    Jon Miller-
                    I AM.CANADIAN
                    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

I never knew you had such hardship in your life JM^3.
                      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

What an amerocentric thread

The nineties were the end of a half a century of peace, marked by consecutive bad administrations, wars, and plummeting living standard.

Our industrial output went down to 50% of what it was in 1989 and so did our exports, tourism and everything else with that.

We are economically still not at the 1989 levels.

Anomaly? I sure hope so!

Comment

Originally posted by VetLegion
                          The world revolves around us (or so we like to think).

Actually, thank you for your post. An excellent reminder that the last decade wasn't good times for everyone.
                          Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

it was mostly good for korea, i'd have to say. stellar growth until '97, when thailand and se asia's disease stung 'em, but by '99, they were back.

it was mostly so-so for japan, with a stagnant economy but a relatively vibrant cultural scene.

mostly good for china, with increasing growth and international prominence.

mostly bad for russia, with a sinking economy and diminished world presence.
                            B♭3

Comment

Originally posted by VetLegion

The nineties were the end of a half a century of peace, marked by consecutive bad administrations, wars, and plummeting living standard.

Our industrial output went down to 50% of what it was in 1989 and so did our exports, tourism and everything else with that.

We are economically still not at the 1989 levels.

Anomaly? I sure hope so!
                              I hear you, man. ( Well, at least I know very well what you're talking about. We had quite a boom, here, but many people back are in ****. )
                              urgh.NSFW

Comment

Working...
                              X