No announcement yet.

Job Searching Tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grasshopper: You must learn the Zen of finding a job. To get a job, you must not want a job. To get a job, you must meet many people and make known you do not want a job.

Okay, the whole grasshopper thing is stupid, but the Zen approach is the way to go. Finding a job is just like finding a great woman.

Always remember:
    1) No one wants someone who is desperate. If you're cool, confident and look like everyone wants you, then everyone will want you. If you look desperate then people will wonder why you ain't getting anyone.
    2) Would you look for a girlfriend in the classified? Maybe you would, but you must know that that most women do not advertise themselves. The same goes for jobs.
    3) If you want a job then you got to get out there and circulate. Go to business get-togethers, like the C of C. Get some business cards printed saying that you're a tech consultant. Make yourself known to the people who do the hiring. Who knows, you might end up with freelance work.
    4) Your resume is like your shoes. One of the first thing women look at are your shoes. The first thing employers look at is your resume. If either one looks like crap, they ain't going to look further.
    5) If you're not getting any bites, you're in the wrong bar.
    6) When you meet a woman, the first thing you should think is do I want to be with this woman. If your first thought, is will she go out with me, will she like me, it ain't going to happen. Same thing with a job. You got to go in with the attitude that you're good, is this the place to be.
    7) Of course, women don't like men who think they are god's gift to the universe. Same thing with employers.

And that is the Zen of getting a job.
    Golfing since 67

Comment

I already write thank you letter for every single interview I get right after it. I also am going to school right now, and job sreaching, so I am not doing nothing.
      Donate to the American Red Cross.
      Computer Science or Engineering Student? Compete in the Microsoft Imagine Cup today!.

Comment

monster

When using boards like monster, most of the ads will contain a link to apply directly from the board. Look for direct contact info at the company or recruiter and apply directly through that system if possible instead of the board. Job boards just send a formatted text message back to the party in question. This makes it harder for the hiring party to scan through and evaluate resumes. Entering your information directly into the hiring party's system makes it easy for them to sort through the information. People are lazy. They will grab from the stack that is easiest for them to use.
        “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

well

So, how did it go?
          Test/Interview
          “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

Comment

I think would be the best person for employment advice. He does everything right on that score.

Why not PM him?
            Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Who?
              We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Re: well

Originally posted by pchang
                So, how did it go?
                Test/Interview
                I have not even taken the test yet! Well today I am going to take the test, then if I pass the test today I get an interview. We will see what happens with that.
                Donate to the American Red Cross.
                Computer Science or Engineering Student? Compete in the Microsoft Imagine Cup today!.

Comment

One other trick can work if you get a little luck.
                  Most companies are so bad on security that they use names and the company name as email addresses.
                  rah@apolyton.net
                  If you get a name you can attempt to send your resume straight to the person by trying a few variations. 9 out of 10 times people will see it as a positive in terms of initiative/cleverness and not as an annoyance.
                  It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                  RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by Tingkai
                    Finding a job is just like finding a great woman.
                    This is so true. Women tend to show up next to me when I am not looking.

Originally posted by Tingkai
                    And that is the Zen of getting a job.

P.S. What kind of shoes should I get?
                    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Shoes don't really exist.
                      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Size Matters

Ahh, so they really are just trying judge by the size of our feet.

Comment

Working...
                        X