Job Searching Tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Job Searching Tips

I have been looking for a job for 4 months now. I may be close to getting a job. One job I just applied for (computer tect) I have to take a test and past it so I can get an interview. Do you have any tips on what I should do for this test? SO far I dont know what this test is on but I guess it is a computer test. Also do you just have general tips for the unemployed of Apolyton?

Thanks,
    Jack_www
    Donate to the American Red Cross.
    Computer Science or Engineering Student? Compete in the Microsoft Imagine Cup today!.

Temping. It's a great foot-in-the-door.
    No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk
      And the other side of the door is a long, dark corridor, where nothing changes until you reach the dead end or die trying. And the carpet is a horrible mouldy grey colour.
      Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
      "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

I had to do a test for my current (computer related) job as well. I was pretty nervous about it as I feared they would ask a lot of hardware related problems while I'm more of a software guy.

But coincidentally I also had an exam for a computer hardware course on my uni around the same time. And whaddya know -- most of the hardware questions on the application test where about the same topics as my uni exam, and most of them I probably wouldn't have been able to anwer (or at least not nearly as well) if it wasn't for the preparation. They give that same test to everyone who applies to that company and the woman who later hired me told me I had one of the best scores ever Even now (about two years later), some people still regard me one of the biggest hardware experts in the company, even though I'm not

So if you have any 'weak spots' when it comes to computer knowledge, hit the books, it could come in handy
        Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

IW has a point. My new job is via a scientific agency, but it is contractual unlike my crap paid ongoing position which I currently have...
          Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Locutus, I do find it daft that they examine you in something that the company is going to teach you though. I have had a genetics exam (and it was pretty advanced genetics) for one job, where they were going to teach me all the stuff anyway I ask you, what is the point? I think psychometric tests and the like are a waste of time, and it is just HR department hanger-oners justifying their jobs...
            Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

It could be a behavioral test. Those are very trendy now. I've been using them quite successfully for about 9 years. If it's one of those let me know, and I can give tips how to beat it.
              It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

If it's one of those let me know, and I can give tips how to beat it.
                Shoot the little girl with the Quantum Mechanics book and not the aliens...
                Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by rah
                  It could be a behavioral test. Those are very trendy now. I've been using them quite successfully for about 9 years. If it's one of those let me know, and I can give tips how to beat it.
                  I think that would be a really fascinating topic if you're willing to share.
                  Good = Love, Love = Good
                  Evil = Hate, Hate = Evil

Comment

A behavioral interview is a series of questions chosen based on the characteristics of the skills needed for a particular position. There are a couple hundred questions which you narrow down to 10-15 for the interview. It's a structured interview that you give to each applicant. (so you can't be nailed for discrimination)

example question #1
                    Give us an example of a time at work when you had to deal with unreasonable expectations of you. Tell us how you handled the situation. (for positions where COPING is importnant)

Things to look for in the answer
                    Good.
                    did the candidate demonstrate an insightful response
                    did he demonstrate positive feelings.
                    did he get results
                    BAD
                    Did he blame
                    did he retaliate
                    did he withdraw
                    did he give up

You also ask for documentation of the incident. NAMES AND DATES which you can check if the story sounds a little to good or obviously made up (and you can usually tell when that happens)

Also when you hear answers the candidate usually spends so much effort trying to slant the story positive that they slip and expose some of their basic charateristics. (one person made a crack about every boss he had in 10 different questions) It was obvious that he had no respect for authority. But if you asked the person straight up, he would have said he did. When the interview was done, the applicant thought he had nailed it. My interviewing partner and I laughed for a week.

For each characteristic that you're looking for you ask one positive type and one negative type question.

Another example question.

Tell me about a time when you were successful in dealing with an unstructured work environment. (ambiguity)
                    Good
                    did candiate stay organized
                    provide meaningful self-direction
                    Bad
                    show frustration
                    non-productive use of time.
                    etc.

Once you're familiar with this type of interviewing. All you need is to do is make up about 20 situations that cover the skills tested. There are ways to sound specific but still vague enough that the situations can't be verified. (use customer names in incidents) (Just first names of co-workers and common last names) (Use seasons of the year instead of specific dates, i.e last summer) etc.

They are usually followed by a couple of questions about skills specific to the job. We usually ask some generic programming questions.
                    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Very cool rah, thanks for the info. Its definitely good stuff to know, and interesting to know what questions like that are really getting at.

Thanks for taking the time to type it up!
                      Good = Love, Love = Good
                      Evil = Hate, Hate = Evil

Comment

Make comments about previous boss
                        Oh well, back to the drawing board . . .

I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Originally posted by rah

example question #1
                          Give us an example of a time at work when you had to deal with unreasonable expectations of you. Tell us how you handled the situation. (for positions where COPING is importnant)

Things to look for in the answer
                          Good.
                          did the candidate demonstrate an insightful response
                          did he demonstrate positive feelings.
                          did he get results
                          BAD
                          Did he blame
                          did he retaliate
                          did he withdraw
                          did he give up
                          What if you say You never recall having to deal with an unreasonable expectation from ur previous job?
                          :-p

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk
                            I have had many "foot-in-the-door" interviews happen with me, and in the end the door gets slammed into by foot and face.

About the test, I think it is a general computer knowledge test, on paper, and multiple choice.
                            Donate to the American Red Cross.
                            Computer Science or Engineering Student? Compete in the Microsoft Imagine Cup today!.

Comment

Don't ask me, I looked for 8 months.
                              If you don't like reality, change it! me
                              "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                              "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                              "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Working...
                              X