Cats Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cats Problem

I've two cats, and both of their fur is matted, big time.
    The son is worse than the mother, but his fur is also longer.
    They're indoor cats, so what's the deal?

What caused it, and how do I make it go away?
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

They're trying to create new cats. My cat does that all the time. We'll come home and the furniture will be covered with cat makings. Damn furry evil things.
    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Groom them often. Our Samantha gets groomed (wire brush) at least once in the morning before my stepdad goes to work and then again at least once in the evening. Additionally, she'll get groomed whenever. You have to make the experiance a pleasant one for the cats in order for them to LET you groom them often. Sam LOVES being groomed and she's both an outdoor kitty and a long-hair.

In grooming often, you get the opportunity to spot problems in their fur before they can grow into huge knots. Pine needles, sap, bush needles, sticky seeds all get caught in Sam's fur, but with so frequent attention it's rare that full-blown knots form. Once they do, however, the only thing you can do is cut them off completely or partially cut through them in hopes they'll come undone. It varies from knot to knot, but do try to leave some fur below the knot. Brushing knots out can become VERY fustrating and painful, both for the cat and owner, so be careful.
      The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

I saw this stiff wire brush at the store that will be good, eventually.
        That's probably the problem.
        The brush I use is really brush-like, not curry comb-like.

Cut the fur out, huh ?
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

You think that's a problem. Look at this tragic moggy who's overdosed:
          Attached Files
          Only feebs vote.

Comment

Have you changed anything about their diet?

My friend had this problem. He bought some cheap cat food at a discount shop. His vet recommended him some really expensive food. That took care of the problem.

Asmodean
            Last edited by Asmodean; September 24, 2003, 19:32.
            Im not sure what Baruk Khazad is , but if they speak Judeo-Dwarvish, that would be "blessed are the dwarves" - lord of the mark

Comment

I have that. Cracks me up every time I see it.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                I have that. Cracks me up every time I see it.
                Yeah, but that cat is clearly an underacheiver. My wife's old cat could do most of a bag of those.
                Only feebs vote.

Comment

Cutting the fur is a last resort for existing knotted fur. With regular and frequent grooming, any future knots should come out easier, especially if your cats are strictly indoor since there's few things laying about to get caught up in their fur.

Comment

I can't do it with that "pick".
                    I guess I'll try frequently with the soft brush.

And no high dollar food either.
                    I don't give them slop, and I'm in tune to their likes, but I draw the line at some of the stuff they peddle.

Although, I did raise the mom on deli turkey.
                    Expensive mistake. Hard to wean her off turkey.

Comment

Shoulda made her go out and hunt her own.
                      -30-

Comment

How about this cat, kinda says it all:

ACK!
                        Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

@ Tuber and sts

Also sloww, I'd suggest doing it this way: have a fine metal wire brush for grooming in the morning and evening and a regular bristle brush for "Give Me Attention" brushings whenever. The metal wire brush's intent is to REALLY get at bad things in the cat's fur, while the bristle brush is less rough on them. Sometimes, you will catch them in the face, ear, or other sensitive areas of exposed skin, so they'll be more likely to enjoy more frequent groomings with non-metal brushs.

It's mostly a pampering thing, but you already knew that...

Comment

Sloww, if their fur is badly matted, you may need to take them to the vet to have them shaved (at least where it is matted). Otherwise try brushing it out from the edges. If they don't let you, it may indicate they've got sores or parasites or something.
                            Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Ok. Thanks all.
                              I'll start what may be a long process today.

Comment

Working...
                              X