• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you value freedom of association?

The right to deal
    Walter E. Williams (archive)

September 24, 2003 | Print | Send

Suppose you want to deal with me but I don't want to deal with you. Should I be forced to?

You might ask, "What are you talking about?"

Here's a short list. Suppose you want to marry me, but I don't want to marry you. Or, suppose you want to play tennis with me, but I don't want to play with you. Or, suppose you want to be in my club, but neither my fellow club members nor I want you. The question is, how much do we Americans value freedom of association? Keep in mind that freedom of association is a two-way street -- it also implies freedom not to associate.

Suppose a beautiful woman wants to date me, but I don't want to date her. It might be for a good reason, bad reason or no reason at all. Should I be free not to deal with her? Similarly, you might want to come to my party or enroll your children in my private school, but I don't want to deal with you. My refusal might be for any arbitrary reason, including your race, sex or religion, or because I don't like your looks. Should the government force us to associate with those we wish not to associate? Alternatively, should government forbid us from associating with those with whom we wanted to associate?

Let's look at a couple of historical examples. H. L. Mencken, writing in the Dec. 9, 1948, Baltimore Sun, tells of a local ordinance that prohibited interracial tennis games on public courts. More recently, there was the Loving vs. Virginia (1967) case, where the U.S. Supreme Court overturned the conviction of a white man and a black woman who married in violation of Virginia's anti-miscegenation laws. Today, most Americans would be offended by any law that banned blacks and whites from playing tennis together or marrying one another. Wouldn't it be just as offensive were there a law requiring blacks and whites to play tennis together or marry one another?

Isn't there a general principle here? Namely, that if one cherishes freedom of association, is there a logically consistent argument for permitting it in some areas of our lives and not in others? Should employers be forced to hire those they prefer not, or landlords forced to rent to persons they prefer not, or Boy Scouts to admit homosexuals when they prefer not?

One might be tempted to answer by asserting that arbitrary discriminatory association choices in marriage don't have the important socioeconomic effects that other discriminatory choices have. That's dead wrong. Race and income are highly correlated. Whites have higher income than blacks. Only about 5 percent of all marriages are interracial. That means whites marrying other whites makes the income and education distribution more skewed than it would be if there were more interracial marriages. I imagine that most of us would be horrified by the suggestion of mandated marriage diversity.

If an activity is publicly financed, then arbitrary discriminatory association should be prohibited. That would apply to, among other things, public libraries, schools and universities. Private libraries, schools and universities should have complete freedom of association, whether it's discrimination for or against a particular race, sex, religion or any other trait upon which it chooses to associate. Interestingly, Americans who support racial preferences should be the strongest supporters of privatization, but they're not.

The bottom line is that the true test of one's commitment to freedom of association doesn't come when he allows people to associate in ways he deems acceptable. The true test comes when he's willing to permit others to associate in ways he deems grossly offensive.

Townhall is the leading source for conservative news, political cartoons, breaking stories, election analysis and commentary on politics and the media culture. An information hub for conservatives, republicans, libertarians, and liberty-loving Americans.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

How much do you value freedom of association? Do you believe those in government should have the right to decide who you may or may not associate with? Or do you feel you are capable of making that decision for yourself?
    ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
    ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

If you don't want to let darkies in your house, that's up to you. If you want subsidized access to government (i.e. taxpayer) funded facilities, then TFB.

Boy Scouts of America and other groups ***** about being "private" associations, but they sure expect special treatment in the use of public facilities and accomodations.
    When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

If the organization in question receives money from the government, or makes use of public land, or... I'd have to think this through a bit more... but anyway, the answer is yes.

If, on the other hand, you have a private club that gets nothing from the government or public at large, then they can include or exclude whomever they wish, even if that makes them *******s.

-Arrian
      grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

What MtG said.
        Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

I think I go with MTG.

Private associations should be able to choose their members. It sucks, but it's the way it is.

Non-private associations should not be able to choose their members, as they represent the local or federal government in some way, and thus belong to all the people.

Comment

Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat
            If you don't want to let darkies in your house, that's up to you. If you want subsidized access to government (i.e. taxpayer) funded facilities, then TFB.
            Well I think that's what the guy was pretty much saying.
            "If an activity is publicly financed, then arbitrary discriminatory association should be prohibited. That would apply to, among other things, public libraries, schools and universities. Private libraries, schools and universities should have complete freedom of association, whether it's discrimination for or against a particular race, sex, religion or any other trait upon which it chooses to associate."

Boy Scouts of America and other groups ***** about being "private" associations, but they sure expect special treatment in the use of public facilities and accomodations.
            No argument here. The extent of your group's freedom of association is directly proportional to your involvement in government.
            ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
            ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

The bottom line is that the true test of one's commitment to freedom of association doesn't come when he allows people to associate in ways he deems acceptable. The true test comes when he's willing to permit others to associate in ways he deems grossly offensive.
              Exactly! Why do we see people insist on the freedom of speech even when the speech is offensive, but that standard doesn't apply to other freedoms like association? But just to quibble, to "permit" others to associate assumes the "permitter" has a valid claim of ownership over these others. This harkens back to the Decl of Independence and the commonly ignored implications of "consent of the governed" - if I cannot consent to you marrying whom you like because I lack a claim of ownership (i.e., it's none of my business), then I cannot consent to government deciding.

If the organization in question receives money from the government, or makes use of public land, or... I'd have to think this through a bit more...
              Don't we all (except for shut-ins) use public lands and facilities? Don't we all receive money from government? Sure, we pay taxes so most see a net loss, but that's true for the people who make up these organisations too... So why hold them to a different standard? Besides, this is a red herring. Why would I lose my freedom of association if I get more money from government than I pay in taxes? If someone doesn't like that, go after the people giving me money from the treasury. But I'd like to ask Mr Williams how he feels about crack dealers associating with crack users.

Comment

I was thinking along the lines of an "either or" proposition:

Want government money, or tax exemption, or... again, I'd have to think about it more than I'm willing to right now... Fine, then accept what the government favors in terms of your association rights (so let in those dirty XYZs). Or, if you don't want those dirty XYZs, then no special stuff from the government for you.

-Arrian
                grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Oh, to answer the question - most people value the illegitimate power to decide who gets to associate with whom more than any value they allegedly place of the freedom of association.

Comment

Want government money, or tax exemption, or... again, I'd have to think about it more than I'm willing to right now... Fine, then accept what the government favors in terms of your association rights (so let in those dirty XYZs). Or, if you don't want those dirty XYZs, then no special stuff from the government for you.
                    Why? Where's the connection between a subsidy or tax exemption and freedom of association? Isn't that just an excuse to take away someone's freedom of association based on your personal preferences? And where do you draw the line? Don't we all use public lands and get government benefits? What you seem to be saying is: if I pay a tax and you get a subsidy, I get to waltz into your life and start making your decisions.

Comment

If I want to "rent" a piece of public land for my organization's use at less than market costs, say several hundred acres for a dollar a year, a la many Boy Scout facilities in state or national forest lands, I'm SOL.

If access or exlusive use is granted preferentially to one entity, instead of on a consistent basis to any entity which applies for such use, then you have a problem.

Sure, you can "go after" the elected officials who grant that preferential subsidy, just like the negras could always vote in new people to repeal Jim Crow.

If you have subsidized public access on a purely consistent basis, i.e. the KKK gets the day they apply for if they're first on the list, then NAMBLA, then the Nation of Islam, then White Aryan Resistance, then a Mexican-American racist group, etc. etc., then your argument makes sense. We don't have that, we have a "groups that are acceptable to the majority get preferential access" system.
                      When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Being forced to work with/for someone
                        Being forced to not work with/for someone

That's tough.

Even you are a private firm you would be wise, in most cases, to behave according to decrees on public firms.

I think free association should exist even more so amongst companies and organizations both private and public, and that if a Co. or Org. does not wish to comply with government requests then funding should be denied or withdrawn as it is done at the state levels... and then, let the public handle it.

I think some of the arguments are little out dated and misleading. Yet, the government should stay out of my life as much as possible and just do what I pay them to do. If I choose not to serve black people at my restaurant than the government should honor my request... This doesn't mean that I should be suprised when my buisness becomes the target for hate crimes and I am forced out of buisness because of it.
                        Monkey!!!

Comment

Why are people still replying in a Cali race thread?
                          Within weeks they'll be re-opening the shipyards
                          And notifying the next of kin
                          Once again...

Comment

First, how does this preferential treatment translate into freedom of association? I don't see a connection, it appears to be an excuse to deprive others of their freedom of association.
                            Second, I agree groups and people should not get preferential treatment, but that's the pols fault. And there just isn't much of a market for "renting" (occasionally) a chunk of forest so it's not like a bunch of other groups are getting shut out. I don't know what was involved in the San Diego case so if the Boy Scouts were basicly handed a piece of land to the exclusion of all others, then I'd have a problem with the pols who set that up.

Jim Crow is not analogous, that too, ironically, was about government violating freedom of association. I'd agree these other groups (NAMBLA?) should be allowed to "rent" space, but it's not like they're really competing with the Boy Scouts which seeks "natural" settings. What if all these groups (and more) had the year booked and individuals couldn't use that land? Would that mean we can now take away their freedom of association too? These are separate issues:

A) Preferential treatment
                            B) Freedom of association

A != B

Attacking B doesn't solve A, so what's the motive here?

Comment

If I choose not to serve black people at my restaurant than the government should honor my request... This doesn't mean that I should be suprised when my buisness becomes the target for hate crimes and I am forced out of buisness because of it.
                              The moral approach would be to boycott the business, unfortunately, many seek the easy and hypocritical approach and simply ban "discrimination" only when it offends them. As the author points out, the true test is not allowing freedom of association when you agree with the association, but even when it is offensive.

Comment

Working...
                              X