No announcement yet.

The Danger of Touch Screen Voting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First... if there are major flaws in the security... who is to say that only the Republicans would try to cheat. Dems in Chicago have been cheating for years, but that doesn't seem to bother the liberals here To make this thread seem to imply that only the republicans would cheat is funny.
    Keep on Civin'
    RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

What's wrong with a piece of paper and a pencil?
      The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

That's how the dems cheat in Chicago
        Keep on Civin'

Comment

Yup, the Dum's cheat cities, the Repugs cheat states and the country.
          Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

So the republicans in Florida were at fault for not having touch screen voting that allows the brain-dead to vote (assuming they are capable of touching the screen) and now the republicans are at fault again cos the system can be hacked and manipulated.

Another brilliant commentary.
            We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
            If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
            Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

I believe that these voting machines if done right can be secure. The US millitary and CIA and NSA have secure communications and networks. If they can do it why cant we make these machines just as secure?
              Donate to the American Red Cross.
              Computer Science or Engineering Student? Compete in the Microsoft Imagine Cup today!.

Comment

Originally posted by SpencerH
                So the republicans in Florida were at fault for not having touch screen voting that allows the brain-dead to vote (assuming they are capable of touching the screen) and now the republicans are at fault again cos the system can be hacked and manipulated.

Yeap.
                They should just sick with punch cards. If people are too stupid that they dont know how to check their own ballot before they turn it in then I dont know what to do in that case. Those people are hopeless.
                Donate to the American Red Cross.
                Computer Science or Engineering Student? Compete in the Microsoft Imagine Cup today!.

Comment

So the republicans in Florida were at fault for not having touch screen voting that allows the brain-dead to vote

Actually they were at fault for illegally disenfranchising as many as 60,000 voters, the majority of them Democrats. The state settled with the NAACP last year and pledged to reinstate these voters by the election in 2004. (And since the ballot was designed by an ex-Republican who has rejoined the Republican party, even the bad ballot design can be laid at their feet.)
                  Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

I think that, whatever their politics, any US voters need to start kicking some arses over these ballot issues. This is not good in a developed country.
                    The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Hows about the republican voters in the panhandle who were disenfranchised by the (liberal) news agencies claiming florida for Gore before the polls closed. I dont recall your indignation over that.
                      We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                      If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                      Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
                        (And since the ballot was designed by an ex-Republican who has rejoined the Republican party, even the bad ballot design can be laid at their feet.)
                        And again... you FAIL to mention that the Dems had FINAL approval on the "ballot" and did indeed approve it's use, putting the blame at THEIR feet...

Yup, the Dum's cheat cities, the Repugs cheat states and the country.

They BOTH CHEAT... your implications that the dems cheat less or not as bad are lame... and just show that you are totally biased. The Dems have been cheating in the big cities since forever, swaying states... and then national elections...

They are no more honest than the Repubs when it comes to this. So stop trying to make it sound like repubs are the bigger cheaters.
                        Keep on Civin'

Comment

Hows about the republican voters in the panhandle who were disenfranchised by the (liberal) news agencies claiming florida for Gore before the polls closed. I dont recall your indignation over that.
                          Exactly how many voters stayed home because of that? Got any confirmed numbers?

In any event, it was their choice to give up. It's part of that incredibly idiotic American sentiment to not want to bother voting unless you're voting for a winner. I vote ever election and I know my guy hasn't a shot in hell of voting. It's laziness, and that's their own damn fault, even if they were misinformed.

Deciding not to vote because you think its not worth the effort is not the same as being told you can't vote because you've been striken from the rolls.

Comment

Che only is concerned when people who vote like him are disenfranchised... People that agree with him get disenfranchised, and people who vote differently then him are just lazy when they get screwed
                            Keep on Civin'

Comment

i actually don't find myself too concerned about this voting flap.

what's drawn me into this is that diebold is trying to use the DCMA to bludgeon verifiable reports that their security on these machines is sub-par.

they've already unfortunately buggered swarthmore...
                              B♭3

Comment

I just want to say that observation of any supermarket self-checkout lane in action provides ample evidence why touch screen voting may not be such a good idea...
                                No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Working...
                                X