Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Athlon 64, Athlon 64 FX, Pentium 4 Extreme Edition released -- Civ3 benchmarks!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At a retirement home, in the evening.

Everyone is in bed so I sit at the front desk and do homework on my laptop, the phone rings maybe once or twice a night and that's it.

Pretty cushy.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Mordoch

That's wrong. The first version of Windows to support the AMD 64-X86 instruction set should be released in the first quarter of 2004, and I would be extremely surprised if it got delayed further than that given betas of the program are appearing now. Its dangerous for Microsoft to wait too much longer given that Linux already supports the 64 bit functions of the AMD 64, and can potentially gain some marketshare at this time.
      : Some articles I read spoke of mid 2004 so I added the usual "PR-guys-not-knowing-technical-problems-that-delay-product" and the "Software-gets-released-with-bugs" factor and calculated mid-late 2004.
      All the builds the guys from the hardware website got were still Alpha Builds.
      But now I heard MS has released a Beta version so maybe early 2004 is more likely (anyway I doubt it). Q1 2004 seems a bit too optimistic.
      Because all the hardware manufactures have to provide 64bit drivers. That may take some time as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Atahualpa

: Some articles I read spoke of mid 2004 so I added the usual "PR-guys-not-knowing-technical-problems-that-delay-product" and the "Software-gets-released-with-bugs" factor and calculated mid-late 2004.
        All the builds the guys from the hardware website got were still Alpha Builds.
        But now I heard MS has released a Beta version so maybe early 2004 is more likely (anyway I doubt it). Q1 2004 seems a bit too optimistic.
        Because all the hardware manufactures have to provide 64bit drivers. That may take some time as well.
        I'd say the delays have already occured, the software was originally set to be released much earlier. First quarter is a conservative estimate, current predictions are for a release in January.

Comment

Working...
        X