Israeli scientists develop effective drug against Alzheimer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Israeli scientists develop effective drug against Alzheimer

INSTITUTE FOR THE STUDY OF AGING ANNOUNCES WINNER OF THE FIRST ALZHEIMER’S DISEASE DRUG DISCOVERY AWARD

Award recognizes that seed capital funding in academia can lead to discovery of a new drug for Alzheimer’s disease

New York, NY (September 16, 2003) – The Institute for the Study of Aging (ISOA) announced today that the Alzheimer’s Drug Discovery Award for 2003 is awarded to Marta Weinstock, B. Pharm, M.Sc., Ph.D. Funded by Anne and Howard Gottlieb and the Institute for the Study of Aging, the award and a prize of $100,000 is given to a scientist whose innovative research has made a significant impact on the discovery and development of new medicines for Alzheimer’s disease.

During the mid 1980s, Dr. Weinstock and colleagues at the Hebrew University in Jerusalem prepared and tested a new series of cognition enhancing drugs known as acetylcholinesterase inhibitors. One of the inhibitors, rivastigmine, was further developed and marketed worldwide for Alzheimer’s disease by Novartis Pharmaceuticals under the trade name Exelon. Dr. Weinstock is currently collaborating with scientists from the Technion in Haifa, Israel and Teva Pharmaceuticals to develop a novel bi-functional drug for Alzheimer’s disease. The drug is in Phase I of clinical trials in Germany.

Dr. Weinstock received her training at the Chelsea College of Pharmacy, London University. She is currently the Leon and Minna Deutsch Chair of Psychopharmacology at the Hebrew University. Dr. Weinstock was elected the first woman President of the Israel Society for Neuroscience in 2002.

“Although we now understand as much about Alzheimer’s disease as we do about heart disease and cancer, there remains an urgent need to translate this basic science knowledge into effective new therapeutics, stated Dr. Howard Fillit, Executive Director of ISOA. “Dr. Weinstock’s work demonstrates that new drugs for Alzheimer’s disease can be developed with seed capital funding for high risk, innovative drug discovery research. Today, we honor Professor Weinstock for creating an effective drug for Alzheimer’s disease.”

Good stuff!

Funny sidenote: these acetylcholinesterase inhibitors act through a similar mechanism as nerve gas (Sarin, Soman et al.).
    Wonder if anyone tried feeding alzheimer patients any of those substances
    The enemy cannot push a button if you disable his hand.

Comment

Ahm... you're sick....

Comment

Hey, I'm a scientist! Have to be open-minded, you know
        The enemy cannot push a button if you disable his hand.

Comment

Re: Israeli scientists develop effective drug against Alzheimer

Originally posted by Sirotnikov

INSTITUTE FOR THE STUDY OF AGING ANNOUNCES WINNER OF THE FIRST ALZHEIMER’S DISEASE DRUG DISCOVERY AWARD
          ..now if they could only remember where they put it.....!
          Last edited by reds4ever; September 23, 2003, 12:25.

Comment

hehe lol

Comment

I only hope that HUJI will patent it and get ****loads of money. There is no need for Biotech comp.s to get all of the profit.
              urgh.NSFW

Comment

Does anyone remember Alzheimer's first name?

You see, it's already beginning

(A-l-o-i-s)

Comment

So, nobody cares?

OR everybody forgot?

Comment

dont say "lol" dude. been in too many chatrooms?

Comment

Too bad these things take too much time to be freely available though...
                      DULCE BELLUM INEXPERTIS

Comment

Now he changed his location field as well. I'm flattered.

Comment

Ecth - please, if you're stalking me, at least keep the personal remarks limited to one thread. I have to keep jumping between threads.

Comment

JCG - true dat.

Reminds me of how in Africa they're forced to allow pirated medication, so to speak, because western AIDS medicine is so freaing expensive. They'd rather get copies (illegal to us) because they're cheapier. Talk about our unfair trade laws.

I'm still not gonna buy expensive stuff in "fair trade" stores. That's for lefties.

Comment

Ecth - the problem is also that the medications often require much more resources than just the drugs itself, which africa doesn't possess.

and don't mention govt. corruption...

Comment

Working...
                              X