YIM not to work with Trillian anymore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• YIM not to work with Trillian anymore

That's some weird news here. Soon, Yahoo Instant Messenger will block access to its protocols from programs other than their own native messenger. Could anyone explain me properly why would they want to do that? They're anyway the smallest of the major instant messaging services. Myself, and many other people, will just stop using YIM altogehter, then. I don't have any YIM contacts that wouldn't have ICQ/MSN anyway, so what's the deal?

Some companies seem to be stupid sometimes.
    Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
    I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

As long as it stops the YIM "upgrade now" alerts from popping up whenever I start Trillian up, I won't complain.
    "Paul Hanson, you should give Gibraltar back to the Spanish" - Paiktis, dramatically over-estimating my influence in diplomatic circles.

Eyewerks - you know you want to visit. No really, you do. Go on, click me.

Comment

I read MSN's doing the same thing.
      Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

I wouldn't be surprised if this starts up another round of "Trillian patches to make it compatible with these messengers, who then patch to block Trillian, repeat infinitely" as happened with AIM a while ago.

Comment

MSN's not doing the same thing, it's banning older clients that don't support SSL-on-login (MSN Protocol 8 and higher) due to security issues.

Trillian 0.74E and Trillian Pro 2.0 will both work with MSN after the October deadline.
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Having installed a patch for Trillian MSN support, I'm fine now. And I admit that losing MSN support would be pretty much a pain in the butt for me.

But does anyone really care for Y?
            Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
            I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

no

Comment

YIM is useless... I don't know a single person who uses it, let alone exclusively.

Comment

Don't even use it. I'm not really sure why these services get so pissed off over Trillian.
                  "Beauty is not in the face...Beauty is a light in the heart." - Kahlil Gibran
                  "The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved; loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves" - Victor Hugo
                  "It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good -- and less trouble." - Mark Twain

Comment

I have a YIM acct. But I have no contact list at all and I dont remember my pw.
                    :-p

Comment

Trip, what happened to ur chrono avatar? oh and my sig!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                      :-p

Comment

Originally posted by Zero
                        Trip, what happened to ur chrono avatar? oh and my sig!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                        Crono will come back one day.

The PTWDG has a big war going on, and on one side is RP and GS and on the other is ND and GoW, so we've all chosen appropriate avatars.

Comment

Working...
                        X