This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The real story about Apple's G5 SPEC Benchmarks

Agathon hid this gem of a thread off in the Mac forum, but it deserves to be here. The thread I'm speaking of is here: http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...2350055&t=4709

Originally posted by Agathon
    I'm posting this here because I don't want to start a flame war.

Any time someone wants to argue with Asher's BS about G5 performance you should read this first.

You may remember that Apple was accused of cooking the books on their G5 spec tests. Many sites reported this although most were quite reasonable and noted the limitations of such tests. Like me most people thought that it would be best to wait for real world application performance to judge the computer by, since I'd heard that companies often BS these tests.

Well.... by accident I found out some interesting things.

I remember that all this originated from a site called haxial.com in Australia. Indeed the other web sites that ran the story basically copied it from that site. I actually remember reading it at the time as it was linked to by all the other reports.

Well, it turns out that the author is a complete whacko. For instance he wrote this gem on the evil of purebreed pets and this as well.

The guy's a nut. Check out MacSlash and scroll down to "I know this guy".

Anyway I got to all this info and links to companies included in the demo who support the test results from this site.

I don't know whether he's on the level but it makes for interesting reading.
    So, because some guy who wrote one of the first critiques of the blindingly-obvious slanted SPEC benchmarks has had insane opinions in the past, therefore we can ignore both the official SPEC results and real-world test results of the G5 and proclaim that anyone saying it's not faster than today's PC processors is full of BS.

This is some remarkable logic, mind-blowing in fact (and not in a good way).

Would somebody care to explain to a university instructor of Philosophy why this is so ridiculous?
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Do you usually post your rebuttals at 2:45 in the morning? Or are you just trying to get some shots in while Agathon is asleep?
    KH FOR OWNER!
    ASHER FOR CEO!!
    GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

I post when I can, I just got home and haven't been on the internet since early this morning so this is the best I can do.

[tangent]And I think people who post threads when they're drunk full of obvious typos are pandering for attention or simply stupid.[/tangent]
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

At any rate, I fail to see why we need another version of this thread, especially when the other one grants sweet +1 with every post.
        KH FOR OWNER!
        ASHER FOR CEO!!
        GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

[tangent]And I think people who post threads when they're drunk full of obvious typos are pandering for attention or simply stupid.[/tangent]

I agree.
          KH FOR OWNER!
          ASHER FOR CEO!!
          GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
            At any rate, I fail to see why we need another version of this thread, especially when the other one grants sweet +1 with every post.
            Because one is in a forum where everyone will pat Agathon on the ass and say "Good job, mate.", and the other one is outside of the Apple reality distortion field that Jobs made so famous.

Comment

I think a thread about Macs belongs in the Mac forum. Makes sense.

The Mac forum needs all the help it can get.
              KH FOR OWNER!
              ASHER FOR CEO!!
              GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

A thread about Mac hardware certainly doesn't belong in a "Civ-Macintosh" forum, it belongs in the "Off-Topic" forum since it has nothing to do with Civ.

Comment

DT, stop being a chinerd

Comment

Sorry. Hanging around all these chigeeks is getting to me.
                    KH FOR OWNER!
                    ASHER FOR CEO!!
                    GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

you shall be teugiven

Comment

BTW, I've been shooting virtual Germans in the head all day. Strangely comforting...
                        KH FOR OWNER!
                        ASHER FOR CEO!!
                        GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

In Wolfenstein? Fine by me, as long as it keeps you from discovering our dark motives in the real world.

Comment

Nah, Medal of Honor: Frontline. A very realistic game, in which one American soldier is man enough to destroy an entire German secret weapons program.
                            KH FOR OWNER!
                            ASHER FOR CEO!!
                            GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

teu-

Comment

Working...
                              X