No announcement yet.

The "Greats of Boxing" Thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boxing is a barbarous spectacle. I won't even honor by calling is a sport. I'm with Howard Cosel, it's disgusting and inhumane.
    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

The day you can knock Leonard down, even now, then you can say "Don't cut it".
      SHEESH! What a snob.
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
        Boxing is a barbarous spectacle. I won't even honor by calling is a sport. I'm with Howard Cosel, it's disgusting and inhumane.
        Ol' Howard the Mouth had no problem with it when he was making money off of it. It's an olympic sport, and references go back at least to Homer, so it's a sport.
        When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Homer was a barbarian.
          Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

There's not a lot I can say about the old boys as I've seen next to nothing of their fights. Of the one I have seen, the following are my picks.

Marvin Hagler
            Tommy Hearns
            Wilfred Benitez
            Sugar Ray Leonard

Best fights I've seen were Watson v Eubanks and Benn v McClelland. It's just unfortunate that those two bouts both ended with a man crippled.
            The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Olympic gold 1988 in middle weight or whatever you call it? GDR? Henry Maske anyone?

Comment

OK I suppose you are into the fat guys... Schmeling!

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
                  Amateur boxing still has some dignity. But the professionals are going down the tubes fast - it's starting to look like something this side of pro wrestling.

There's some great up-and-coming boxers coming out of the Kronk gym, and I hope they breathe new life into pro boxing soon.
                  "Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by monkspider
                    Rocky Marciano is the best, IMO, followed by Louis and Dempsey.
                    Marciano beat nobody except old fighters and pumped up light heavyweights, IMO he looses to (at least!), Ali, Liston, Foreman, Lewis, Holmes, Tyson, (a prime) Louis and probally Frazier

Top 5 P4P

1 Robinson
                    2 Ali
                    =3 Duran
                    =3 Leonard
                    5 Hagler

Yep, I'm biased towards the 80's 'fab four' but thats what I grew up watching

Comment

Originally posted by Jac de Molay
                      Amateur boxing still has some dignity.
                      Yes and no, since it's not just a couple o' sides of beef pounding the bejeezuz outta each other. On the other hand, taking shots to the head over a period of time just isn't good for your brain, even with head protection. Your brain still bounces around inside your skull.

Comment

Working...
                      X