No announcement yet.

Monkeys Understand Fairness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The monkey does not KNOW it did as much labor (what does he have, some timesheet?), he feels he did (which is not the same thing), and it is the feeling that mattered.
    If you don't like reality, change it! me
    "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
    "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
    "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Zero
      I get mad when my friends get twice the reward as me, whether or not they worked more than twice as much for the reward.

Like I have implied before, I dont think fairness has anything to do with why mokeys get mad when their fellows get mor ethan them. The fact that they get more is a reason enough to get mad, whether they worked fair amount for it or did 3,4 times the amount of work to get more reward.
      :-p

Comment

The monkey does not KNOW it did as much labor (what does he have, some timesheet?), he feels he did (which is not the same thing), and it is the feeling that mattered.
        They pull or push a lever for the treat and the researchers watched their reactions as they watched each other use the lever and what they got in return.

Comment

How is that labor? It is an action, reward situation. If I reach my hand into a bag and get 1 dime, and the guy next to me reaches into a bag and gets a dollar, like hell I will continue to take out of my bag! I will try to get some from his! And I would be angry if I reched into a bag and got a dime, and then the guy comes and draws a dollar form the same bag...but the issue of labor???

You really did strech this example, didn't you?

Comment

Monkeys Understand Fairness

unlike a lot of people

Comment

How is that labor? It is an action, reward situation.
              Did you expect the monkeys to dig a ditch or build a house? Labor is an action-reward situation so what's your point?

If I reach my hand into a bag and get 1 dime, and the guy next to me reaches into a bag and gets a dollar, like hell I will continue to take out of my bag! I will try to get some from his!
              Sigh, the monkeys don't have bags of their own, they are given treats for their effort.

You really did strech this example, didn't you?
              Nope, pulling or pushing a lever in exchange for a reward is what "labor" is all about - effort translated into wealth. Is it your contention that I've "stretched" this example because you don't think the monkeys were doing enough labor? Complain to the researchers...

Comment

Originally posted by Japher

Life ain't fair, and neither are taxes (no matter how much), sitting around living with this type of attitude will get you know where... Become rich and then we'll see what you are complaining about.

Hey -- ever hear of corporate welfare??
                A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Labor is an action-reward situation so what's your point?

No it is not..a slave is a laborer, and gets no reward for his labor. So while compensation is the most common outcome, it is not absolute. Most importantly, 'labor" assumes a bunch of socially constructed economic relations. By your definition, any action meant to give any reward is labor..like making a model set, or a sandwich, or lighting a cigarrete, breathing.....

Now, I would love to get fair pay for my acting to stay alive (nice reward), but that ain't going to happen.

Oh, and monkeys, as selfish and self-scentered as they are are not libertarians.

Comment

Working...
                  X