Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the most powerfull quote in literature for you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't have to sell sh1t like this, cause sh1t like this sells itself.
    We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

I know its bitterly common but hey

"Quote the raven, Nevermore".

Can anyone tell me the philosophy behind that?
      "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
      "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

I can't name the most powerful, per se, but here are two of my favorites, both from Inherit the Wind:

DRUMMOND: I object, I object, I object.

BRADY: On what grounds? Is it possible that something is holy to the celebrated agnostic?

DRUMMOND: Yes! The individual human mind. In a child's power to master the multiplication table there is more sanctity that in all your shouted "Amens!", "Holy, Holies!" and "Hosannahs!" An idea is a greater monument than a cathedral. And the advance of man's knowledge is more of a miracle than any sticks turned to snakes or, the parting of waters! But are we now to halt the march of progress because Mr. Brady frightens us with a fable? Gentlemen, progress has never been a bargain. You've got to pay for it. Sometimes I think there's a man behind the counter who says, "All right, you can have a telephone; but you'll have to give up privacy, the charm of distance. Madam, you may vote; but at a price; you lose the right to retreat behind a powder-puff or a petticoat. Mister, you may conquer the air; but the birds will lose their wonder, and the clouds will smell of gasoline!" Darwin moved us forward to a hilltop, where we could look back and see the way from which we came. But for this view, this insight, this knowledge, we must abandon our faith in the pleasant poetry of Genesis.
        DRUMMOND: Is that the way of things? God tells Brady what is good! To be against Brady is to be against God!

BRADY: No, no! Each man is a free agent-

DRUMMOND: Then what is Bertram Cates doing in the Hillsboro jail? Suppose Mr. Cates had enough influence and lung power to railroad through the State Legislature a law that only Darwin should be taught in the schools!

BRADY: Ridiculous, ridiculous! There is only one great Truth in the world-

DRUMMOND: The Gospel according to Brady! God speaks to Brady, and Brady tells the world! Brady, Brady, Brady, Almighty!

BRADY: The Lord is my strength-

DRUMMOND: What if a lesser being - a Cates, or a Darwin - has the audacity to think that God might whisper to him? That an un-Brady thought might still be holy? Must men go to prison because they are at odds with the self-appointed prophet? Extend the testaments! Let us have a Book of Brady! We shall hex the Pentateuch, and slip you in neatly between Numbers and Deuteronomy!
        "Beauty is not in the face...Beauty is a light in the heart." - Kahlil Gibran
        "The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved; loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves" - Victor Hugo
        "It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good -- and less trouble." - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by elijah
          I know its bitterly common but hey

"Quote the raven, Nevermore".

Can anyone tell me the philosophy behind that?
          Sure. It's nihlism.
          "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

I can't rememeber the quote exactly, but here is something from Tolstoi:

'War is a Brutal thing and those who say 'take prisoners' are like the woman who swoons and faints when she see's a lamb's throat cut, but later on a dinner she has no qualms about eating her tasty veal cutlets.'
            eimi men anthropos pollon logon, mikras de sophias

Comment

Originally posted by The Andy-Man
              I can't rememeber the quote exactly, but here is something from Tolstoi:

'War is a Brutal thing and those who say 'take prisoners' are like the woman who swoons and faints when she see's a lamb's throat cut, but later on a dinner she has no qualms about eating her tasty veal cutlets.'
              I don't understand this quote. It seems to me that the author is saying that the Russians ate their prisoners. I assume that if the enemy were killed on the battlefield they ate them there, but if they were taken prisoner they ate them later. The desireability of taking prisoners would then depend on how successful the battle was. If you had defeated a larger force surely you'd want to save some for later, but if you had overrun a small detachment you might as well splurge.

This probably explains why the phrase "I'm hungry enough to eat a horse" translates into Russian as "I'm hungry enough to eat a dragoon."
              "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Quality quote from 'The West Wing' on why liberals should be more bold.

"somebody came along and said liberal means soft on crime, soft on drugs, soft on Communism, soft on defense. And we're going to tax you back to the Stone Age because people shouldn't have to work if they don't want to. And instead of saying, 'Well, excuse me, you right-wing, reactionary, xenophobic, homophobic, anti-education, anti-choice, pro-gun, Leave it to Beaver trip back to the '50s,' we cowered in the corner and said, 'Please don't hurt me'... "

Comment

Working...
                X